Possible to remove door slam sound in post? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 10th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Possible to remove door slam sound in post?

Hello,

I have footage in which I have the sound of a slamed door while the person is talking, is there a way to eliminate this sound or at least make it less clear.

I use Cool Edit Pro 2.0 as editing tool, is there a simple way to fix it? I have very basic knowledge.

Thanks.
Jose Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Adobe Sound Booth may be able to do it. I think you might be able to download it for a free trial at the Adobe Site.

Mike
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello Mike,

Isn't possible with Cool Edits...seems like a very powerfull software, I already use it in my productions...I remove noise and pop the sound, it must be able to to it also.

But I tried to download the software you mention. Does it has a special feature to do it automatically or are there step to fallow??? Link to the steps? or maybe in its help menu?

Thanks
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

To reduce volume of door slam in Cool Edit Pro 2, left click and drag to highlight section containing 'door slam' data, click 'zoom to selection' (immediately to the right of the record button). Repeat if necessary until you can distinghish just the 'door slam' peak. Highlight this data from nearest zero crossing (centre line) at start and finish of 'slam' peak.

Left click 'Effects' from top toolbar, then 'amplitude' and 'amplify' (or just click on 'Amplify, Fade in, Fade out' button if you know where that is) and set attenuation to match surrounding levels.

Note that you will also attenuate any spoken words that coincide with the slam, but there's nothing you can do about that I'm afraid. Shouldn't be too much of a problem if you are just attenuating the short 'door slam' data.
Roger Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

In sound booth you can bring the audio in and go into its vector form. You will be able to "see" the door slam. Then click "Remove a Sound." You then highlight the area of the door slam, and simply turn it down to nothing. That leaves the rest of the sound at that instant intact, expect if it is exactly the same pitch of course.

Mike
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #6
Major Player

A more manual method of removing the sound would be to open the audio file in something similar to Sound Forge.
Duplicate the audio file so you have two versions.
Isolate the door slam sound in one of the tracks and try and remove everything else, so all you have left is the sound of the door slamming.
Then invert the waveform and recombine it with the original, this should be quite effective at the removing the unwanted noise.
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #7
Inner Circle

A screen print of a removal.

Mike

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...1&d=1192023282
Screen.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Possible to remove door slam sound in post?-screen.jpg  
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hello everybody,

Thanks for the reply and also for the steps, I'll be trying the options after I finish the video edits and I'll post how it went either today or tomorrow if anyone care to know.

Thanks again!
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:23 AM   #9
Major Player

How audio editors "cheat"

Hi Jose,

Incidentally, since a door slam is fairly short, if the talent spoke the same word elsewhere, you might consider using a cut-and-paste to over-write the door slam.

Enjoy, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio