Some distortion in my soundfiles at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 10th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Some distortion in my soundfiles

I have some distortion in my sound. Is there anyway to fix it or make it better?

I use Mac so - what do you think?
Arvid Unsgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Can you post a sample of the distortion?
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Here is two small files

on with vocal and dist

and one speach with dist.

http://homepage.mac.com/arvidunsgaar...Sharing30.html
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Arvid..............

Sounds to me like headroom clipping, which, if true, cannot be fully "fixed"

There have been a couple of good semi fixes been posted here, but their authors names escape me - reckon they'll pop up before long, or have a good trawl through this forum, the relevant posts aren't that old.

Another good way to find them is to Google - try "sound clipping" etc as the search criteria.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Sounds to me like headroom clipping, which, if true, cannot be fully "fixed"

There have been a couple of good semi fixes been posted here, but their authors names escape me - reckon they'll pop up before long, or have a good trawl through this forum, the relevant posts aren't that old.

Another good way to find them is to Google - try "sound clipping" etc as the search criteria.

CS
What does it mean with headroom clipping?
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The strange thing is that it not get clipped in the camera.
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Headroom clipping.....

is where the signal level exceeds the ability of a circuit to deal with it and results, literally, in the peaks of the sine waves being "clipped" off. If it happens into an A/D converter the result is pretty nasty.

If, as you say, the signal isn't clipped/ mangled "on camera" I'm a bit mystefied (adding hastily that this is getting way out of my comfort zone and would be better dealt with by one of DVinfo's REAL sound guru's).

Can't shed any light onto the NLE either as I'm a PC bod.

CS
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #8
Inner Circle

It may or may not be actual clipping per se but it sounds like the signal is too hot for the input and is overloading on peaks - hard to say just where in the signal chain it's occuring without more information.. Tell us a little bit about how you recorded this and what equipment you used.
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #9
Major Player

distortion

Sounds to me like the previous assessment is correct, its mild distortion from an input being overdriven, how do you know its not the camera being over driven? if you are looking at meters on the camera, that may not be an accurate way to show clipping as most meters on devices are what is called an RMS (average) level and not necessary PEAK metering. can you explain your signal chain and what equipment you used? the distortion seems mild and you can probably reduce the effect. but sound is like baking, once the ingredients are in there they are impossible to take out, all you can do is try to hide or de-emphasize.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi again.......

Just to expand on my previous explanation of "headroom clipping" if, of course, you're interested.

OK, take a pure sine wave. Put it through an amplifier with an amplification factor of say, 10. At the O/P you get a sine wave 10 times the magnitude of the I/P.

All well and good. However, any amplifier has an O/P "ceiling" beyond which it physically cannot go. Lets say our amplifier has a ceiling of +/ - 10, determined by the voltage rails it's functioning from and other factors.

So, we increase the size of the I/P sine wave till the O/P reaches this ceiling. Then we go beyond it. The O/P cannot go beyond +/- 10 so that portion of the peak that "should" go past it is slammed into the ceiling for the duration of that peak.

We now have a sine wave with a flat top. It is no longer a sine wave but a partial square wave. Continue to increase the I/P, so more and more of the signal is slammed into this ceiling.

Take this to the point where the O/P IS actually a pretty good square wave.

We no longer have an analogue sine wave, but a digital square wave. Analogue circuits really, really, do not like digital signals, and will do everything in their power to take the edge off that square, thus becoming a very effective multi band filter.

Run this square wave through a spectrum analyser. Guess what? Our once pristine single frequency sine wave is now litterly thousands of different sine waves of various harmonics of the original frequency, stretching through the entire spectrum. A square wave is, in fact, nothing more than an infinite number of sine waves added together.

So, the moment you drive an amp past it's ceiling, that horrible raspy sound you hear is harmonics of the original being produced in their thousands, the number directly proportional to the amount of "clipping" going on.

It can be produced by "too hot" a mic into a pre - amp, the wick being turned up too high on that pre amp and driving a subsequent stage into clipping etc etc etc.

Feed a square wave (or part thereof) into an A/D converter (as in camera audio to digital tape "a la" DV or HDV) and they get very huffy indeed.

The reason for the "headroom"? This is the margin you must allow in your overall signal level to allow for transient peaks in excess of the average signal level. The less headroom you allow (which usually gives the best signal to following stages) also leaves you less able to deal with peaks, which will, of course, collide with the ceiling, thus giving you more and more clipping.

Allow no headroom at all, and thus force every single frequency in your I/P signal to clip, you unleash a veritable shit storm of er, mess loose on following stages.

Just thought I'd share.

CS

Ps. Whew, got through that with not one mention of "Slew Rate". Must be getting better.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; October 11th, 2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I use a Sennheiser MKH 50 into a Shure FP 24 and out to a PD170 Dv Camera.

I use the 0db peep to adjust the volume on the camera and then listen all the time on the camera sound.

From the Shure mixer it was line out to the PD170 camera, and line in on the PD170.

So what can I do?

Any plugins or something to get it better.

Thanks for your great help
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Arvid...

If what we are hearing is, actually, clipping, there is not a whole heap to be done.

I am not convinced it could not have happened somewhere in post. The real DV audio guru's can help here, is there any way this is possible?

I never get this sort of problem, so am in total ignorance as to how it could come about, if, as you say, it's clean out of the camera.

If you are 100% certain this is most definately not on the "off camera" sound track, I'm stumped.

CS
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Maybe I couldnt hear it - lucky me I also have a mic on the camera, so maybe I can mix it and use booth.
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Im looking for a clipping restoration tool for osx - someone knowing?

I find some for windows not for osx.
Old October 11th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
If what we are hearing is, actually, clipping, there is not a whole heap to be done.
CS
Do you mean its impossible to fix?

Or do it better?
Arvid Unsgaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio