DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones..nice! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/105634-audio-technica-ath-m50-headphones-nice.html)

Ty Ford October 14th, 2007 06:19 PM

Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones..nice!

Heard 'em at AES.
1. closed back
2. nice pads, they cover your ears
3. foldup like Sony MDR 7506
4. flatter than MDR 7506 (no bass bump, no top peak)
5. 1/4" and 1/8".

Regards,

Ty Ford

Allan Black August 22nd, 2019 03:39 AM

Re: Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones..nice!

There’s nothing like reviving a 12yr old thread.

I waited all this time to see others replying to Ty’s announcement but as you can see no one has.

Meanwhile I purchased a set basically on his recommendation and not only are they great, after 12yrs the headband on mine has now worn out.

Then AT bought out an ATH-M50 X model, and what do you do when you’re onto a good thing, well you bring them out in colours.

The red set I now have are equally great, complete with a headband cover.

Cheers.

Ty Ford August 22nd, 2019 08:53 AM

Hahahaha!

Very Good Allan!

Hope things are good for you in Sydney.

I hope to hear from you more often than every 12 years.

I bought 4 or 6 sets of them for my studio and have not regretted it.

Cheers,

Ty Ford

Gary Nattrass August 22nd, 2019 02:50 PM

They now do a bluetooth version that you can also use with a supplied cable so you get the best of both worlds.

I used the headset with mic version for commentators during the 2014 commonwealth games in Glasgow and was well impressed so will be buying a bluetooth set soon.

https://www.audio-technica.com/m50xbt/index.html

Allan Black August 22nd, 2019 06:07 PM

G’day guys.

In April 2017, Audio Technica released studio packs ...

‘The ATH-PACK4 studio headphone pack includes one set of ATH-M40x professional monitor headphones and three sets of ATH-M20x professional monitor headphones (suited for mixing and tracking, respectively).

The ATH-PACK5 studio headphone pack includes one set of ATH-M50x professional monitor headphones and four sets of ATH-M20x headphones. Both of these configurations offer savings over sourcing the components separately: the ATH-PACK4 is priced at US $199.00, and the ATH-PACK5 is priced at US $299.00.’

Great deal, anyone know if it’s still available? I’d spring for the Pack5, I don’t know about the M40x.

Ty, here in Sydney things are good thanks. Sold the studio a few years back, I don’t walk around with my reference CD in my back pocket any more I might sit on it.

Those AT cans are great, thanks for that.

Cheers.

Gary Nattrass September 1st, 2019 07:46 AM

Just got the bluetooth version and they are quite superb.

Way better than my sony 7506 cabled cans and very high definition.

Allan Black September 1st, 2019 09:21 PM

And they have the latest Bluetooth version 5, twice as fast and 4 times the range of V4.2 with data transfer rates of 2Mbps. As Ty Ford would say, “nice.”

Gary, when you get time, let’s know how you like these features, thanks.

‘The headphones add mic and button controls to the left earcup for convenient handling of phone calls, music playback and volume adjustment. There’s also a touch control in the earcup that provides easy access to voice assistant technology.’

Disclaimer. Neither I nor Ty Ford work for Audio Technica, at least I don’t think he does.

Cheers.

Renton Maclachlan September 2nd, 2019 03:26 AM

Hi Allan.

Long time no hear from.

I got a pair of these ages ago...as I recall due to recommendations from here.

May be interested...a young guy at the house I was working on was going to chuck out a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro because the ear pads were shot...actually missing. Everything else looked perfectly fine as far as I could tell. I said if he wanted to chuck them my way I'd take them...so he did. For something like $3 for new ear pads from Aliexpress, I got another pair of good headphones.

Renton

Allan Black September 2nd, 2019 10:41 PM

Hi Renton,

sounds like things are good in the ‘land of the long white cloud.’

The first thing I noticed with my ATH-M50s (38 ohms) was, they’re about 4-5db louder than my far more expensive Sennheiser HD 600s (300 ohms)

And while lower impedance is louder, that’s clever designing because that feature alone will instantly impress many customers, keeping them interested while they work out whether the M50s have great audio.

Cheers.