Question about shooting outdoors.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 16th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Question about shooting outdoors....

....In the rain.

I have a rain slicker for my VX2100 but not used it yet. It's now getting near our rainy season but I have a question. I use a Rode VideoMic, which my rain slicker does cover fully, but how do I record audio outdoors in the rain without my mic picking up the rain sound hitting the rain slicker? I wouldn't have thought that my mic would be safe from rain outside the cover, but what about with a dead cat windshield or other fluffy device covering it?

I am only talking light rain and not storm weather. What are the best audio capture solutions for shooting in light rain? Do I have the right equipment? My budget is rather tight so really expensive solutions are a no-no.

Thanks,

Russ
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Holland View Post
....In the rain.

I have a rain slicker for my VX2100 but not used it yet. It's now getting near our rainy season but I have a question. I use a Rode VideoMic, which my rain slicker does cover fully, but how do I record audio outdoors in the rain without my mic picking up the rain sound hitting the rain slicker? I wouldn't have thought that my mic would be safe from rain outside the cover, but what about with a dead cat windshield or other fluffy device covering it?

I am only talking light rain and not storm weather. What are the best audio capture solutions for shooting in light rain? Do I have the right equipment? My budget is rather tight so really expensive solutions are a no-no.

Thanks,

Russ

You need two simple and cheap things.

First, a non-lubricated condom.

Second, the stuff to rig a flag so that raindrops don't physically hit the mic.

That's it.

Employ those and proceed as normal.

BTW, off topic - I used to take great preverse and fatherly delight in buying my shotgun mic condoms while accompanied by my young son. Embarrased him TOTALLY. Now that he's older, I realized that conditioning him to go into a drug store for such a purchase without blinking might have been one of the smarter things I ever did. FWIW.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Major Player

you can also use quilting batting, you would pick up from a fabric store. It works well in light rain, but anything heavier and it won't work so well.

You attach the batting to the microphone with rubber bands.

Wayne

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio