Manual audio settings with SGM-2x and VX2000? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 9th, 2003, 08:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Manual audio settings with SGM-2x and VX2000?

I have a Sony VX2000 with SGM-2x mic and beachtek adaptor. From other threads I have figured out that it is best to keep the camera at about 50% and adjust only the beachtek. Doing this I have the Beachtek turned up all the way (to 10). I think this is correct. The audio indicator goes up to about 75%. And stays under the red mark. I think this is correct, right?

What I would like to know is how to record a scene where the voice level is normal throughout most of the scene and then the actor has to shout or raise their voice? At the settings I have there is going to be distortion during the louder volume scenes.
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #2
Major Player

I would lower the gain in the camera a bit and test the shouting a few times as to not get the distortion.Then in post on your NLE hopefully it will allow for you to add some compression/limiter to the dialog track.This will allow you to raise the lower volume passage and keep the shouting peaks down smoothing out the overall sound. I know FCP has compressor/limiter. I'm not sure about other NLEs. Another way would be to patch into a stand alone limiter before going into cam to prevent overloads. If you are not sure what a compressor/limiter does just listen to any radio DJ.They are heavily compressed and you will notice that if they whisper or yell at the top of thier lungs that the volume you are hearing them at stays at about the same level.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 07:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have never heard of a compressor/limiter. That's interesting. Anyone know if Vegas Video has one?
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 08:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Dan
Another tip if Vegas doesnt have a compressor .Does vegas allow you to chop up the audio track? If so you can chop the track up into segments then boost or cut the volume where it is to low or high.
A compressor and a limiter are basically the same.They are pretty simple devices once you get to know how to use then correctly but if used poorly they will totally ruin the sound.Good compressor usage you would not even realize that it was added to the track.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2003, 04:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thats what I have been doing, but thought there may be a better method.
Dan Measel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio