"Un-mixing" an old project... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 4th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #16
Major Player

Pt

You will still need the OMF translation tool , if you only have it in OMF. unless they have added that feature. the tool was made so you could import/export sessions from programs like Digital performer or Logic, im not sure if PT will do it on its own , especialy LE...
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #17
Wrangler

Okay, a minutes worth of testing in FCS2 has netted this:

-FCP6 does export OMF, as it always has. It does NOT import.

-Soundtrack Pro DOES import OMF, which I believe might be new.

You could import OMF into Soundtrack Pro, and then "send to" FCP I would imagine. I was going to say Automatic Duck does not do audio OMFs, only Avid video OMFs, but it looks like 2.0 changes that. Still $500, though.
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Joy

Dr.Weaver! You lifesaver! That's great news about Soundtrack Pro's OMF capability. 'Specially since I'm taking delivery of FCPS2 tomorrow... Woohoo! Thank you for testing it out - you just saved me a trip to NY to borrow time on a buddy's ProTools machine.

Of course, now that I'm celebrating already, I'm sure it will still be more complicated than I expect... But I'll report back on how it goes.
Sean Mewshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #19
Regular Crew

OMF import to STP2 freezing

Howdy, all, just little ol' me, here with an update on my progress, and of course, further problems...

So I'm trying to import the Avid audio OMF into Sountrack Pro (I have the OMF export in both "media separate" format and "media enclosed" [a.k.a. "AvidLink"?] format), and all seems to go well, but just after the edited timeline appears (with waveforms present), the import bar stops advancing (at precisely the halfway point). I can actually play the media on the timeline while the import bar wiggles endlessly, but I have not been able to save the project (because the program is stuck importing). I have tried to wait it out, but the bar never progresses, and I must force quit, losing the audio edit on the timeline. This exact thing occurs no matter whether I import the avid link omf, or the "media separate" omf.

... And just FYI I was previously able to import the OMF successfully into a ProTools HD session, but the mixer lending me his machine on his lunch break only had time to export a single aiff of the soundtrack for me, so I still lack the editable version... Which is what I need.

Anyone have any ideas what's going wrong, or able to provide a tricky way to save the edit details before having to force quit Sountrack?

I'm working on a fresh-out-of-the-box MacPro 2 x 2.66 Dual Core running OSx 10.4.10, QTpro 7.2.0, STpro v2.0...

The OMF was exported from a project on Avid Media Composer v7.2...

Any pointers or advice will be repaid with endless love!

Thanks,
Sean
Sean Mewshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Hey guys,

Got here late. The Digidesign Micro is your best answer. With the micro, you can mix and edit, but you can't record. I'm presuming you can export, but I have not verified that.

The Digidesign mBox, for a little bit more, gives you PTLE (which is NOT the same thing as PT Free. PT Free is pretty much defunct). I use PTLE with a Digi 002R and find it a great bargain.

Be advised that any EQ, mix automation, comp/limiting or effects of any sort will be lost if you use just the complete, consolidatred files in another program like FCP. In addition, even if you do buy Digi hardware with PTLE, if the original session was done on a Pro Tools LE with plug ins you don't have, you'll have to deal with that. If the production was cut on a Pro Tools TDM system, there may be other "can't get there" issues if you're using a PTLE system.

Got a few bucks? Send me a copy of the session and I'll see what I can do to open the session and extract the complete audio files for you so you can use them in FCP.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
cheapest thing is this USB output device on the digidesign site

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...20&itemid=5343

for $279 not a bad deal if you need PT LE and it will open everything up.

Finally! It's so annoying to have to plug into my rack unit and go through all the motions when all I want to do is make some simple edits. Though for what it is, it's still pricey.
Anna Harmon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio