"Un-mixing" an old project... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"Un-mixing" an old project...

I'm re-editing a short film I made a few years back, which was shot on 35, recorded to DAT, cut on Avid, post-mixed in ProTools.

I now need to access the ProTools project file and re-edit and re-mix the soundtrack. I'm going to be working in FCS2 (which is being sent to me as we speak, I have yet to work with it, just FCPHD), and don't have the funds to buy ProTools, or to rent more time in a session at a mixing house...

So my question is whether there are other programs that can open and/or translate ProTools Sessions? All the audio media is present on my disk (along with the "fade files" and sound effects we produced in the session), and I'm trying to figure out how to re-build the mix without having to manually re-cut the soundtrack from the full takes on DAT... ;p

Alternately, I also have the Avid project file of the master edit, but I haven't re-captured the telecined footage with synch sound, so I have no media to re-connect to that cut...

Lastly, the ProTools session files have no extensions. Should they be ".pts" files?

Any thoughts or flashes of inspiration would be welcome!

Thanks,
Sean
Sean Mewshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If it's an OMF I think FCP6 can open them.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:12 PM   #3
Major Player

The short answer is that only Pro Tools can open Pro Tools sessions. The best advice I could give is check the "audio" folder that accompanies that session. I'm assuming that there will be tons of files when you look in it, but some audio guys consolidate all of their audio files when they are done with a project. If this is the case then you could import these files into another DAW(i.e. Logic, DP, Soundtrack, etc.). This would give you the ability to remix. If there are a ton of files created by recording and editing then you would need to hire someone to consolidate the files for you that has Pro Tools. This should not take long to do at all. One thing to keep in mind...if you don't use Pro Tools to mix then you will be working with raw audio again.
Jonathan Bufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:01 PM   #4
Trustee

there is protools LE which is free, but I doubt it will yeild what you need. best thing to do is find a protools setup, and have them export each track to its own AIFF file. FCP will export OWF, but not import it AFAIK. another possible solution is Automatic Duck might have an importer.

with the Avid project, either use Automatic Duck to bring the project into FCP, or find some one who can do it for you and save out a FCP project file, or open the project up in Avid and export a EDL :(
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Where can you get PTLE for free?
Brooks Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Trustee

avid.com

they offered it free to introduce people to PT. limited to 8 tracks or something, but useful.

good luck finding it because they have the most unorganized website ever and it was several years ago when I last ran it.... I personally ran it around OS8 or so for mac. there is a windows version. its quite possible they are no longer offering it, but... well you know its out there if you what I mean ;)

so i just did a google search and here it is on cnet.com

http://www.download.com/Pro-Tools-Fr...4-3296394.html

link is dead :( but I'm sure its out there. again not sure if its worth anything either given its so old. I thought that had updated it a little more.

link to the PDF manual I found

http://archive.digidesign.com/suppor...tart_Guide.pdf
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The problem with protools is you can't open it unless you have a digidesign interface plugged in. Like, the 002 or whatever.
Anna Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #8
Trustee

with the free version, exactly the opposite. it only works with the built in audio with the exception of the AM III card. idea was to let you try it out on your own hardware, but then step up to a full PT systems which of course requires their hardware
Old November 4th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestions, daunting as the prospects may seem. I'm going to give the PT Free method a try today, see if it can re-construct a full session.

I just wish I could track down the OMF I exported from Avid when we went into the original ProTools Mix session... I assume I could import that into FCP now, and though it wouldn't be the final mix, at least it would be the sound edit!

I'll post my progress. Cross yer fingers, folks.
Old November 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Mewshaw View Post
I assume I could import that into FCP now, and though it wouldn't be the final mix, at least it would be the sound edit!
FCP only exports OMFs for ProTools. It doesn't import them.

I don't know about Soundtrack Pro, however.
Old November 4th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Yes indeed. Darn it.

From the ProTools website:

"Pro Tools FREE for Mac OS 9 and Windows 98/Me are no longer available for download or on CD.
There are no current plans for a standalone version or a free version of Pro Tools for either Mac OSX or Windows XP.
When Pro Tools FREE for Mac OS9 and Windows 98/Me was released years ago, it was originally meant to be a temporary demonstration tool for Pro Tools. At that time, there were no portable (USB or FireWire) Digidesign interfaces, only Pro Tools systems that used PCI hardware. Since that time, Digidesign has introduced the Mbox, Mbox 2, Digi 002, and Digi 002 Rack interfaces, as well as Pro Tools M-Powered software, which supports many M-Audio portable interfaces."

I'm going to keep digging for it, though, just in case some other freeware server is hanging onto this program. Anybody out there download it, and still have the program archive?! Ha!
Old November 4th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peter Reed View Post
If it's an OMF I think FCP6 can open them.
Can anyone confirm or deny this? I am a few days away from taking delivery of FCPS2, and currently am only running FCPHD4.5 so I have no way to know. 4.5 certainly can't handle OMF.

I have looked into the Automatic Duck Pro Import FCP software, which seems to be capable of making this translation, but of course I would *prefer* not having to spend the $500 on it...
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #13
Major Player

pro=tools

OMF is an import/export file system that only works with an additional tool that in not normally included in PT,and works outside of PT, or MAC systems for that atter (at least it was when I worked with PT) the easiest answer is to get you an basic Mbox protools setup (not very expensive) this will open the PT session, however any plug in s and any tracks beyond the LE limitation will not show up , but you should still have the time line info. you might have to re-build the session as this project was probably saved with TDM plug ins and may or may not transcribe to the new LE system.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #14
Trustee

its seems if you buy some hardware, they'll "give" you PT LE. cheapest thing is this USB output device on the digidesign site

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...20&itemid=5343

for $279 not a bad deal if you need PT LE and it will open everything up.

no FCP does NOT import OMF, only export.
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Well, I dug up the complete OMF export, with attendant data files, so I feel inches away from being able to rebuild the mixing session. You guys may have a point that I should just spring for one of the ProTools LE set ups... Certainly cheaper than the Ducky software translation solution; though I would prefer to be able to re-cut the audio natively in FCP alongside the video.

Thank you for all the help - the DVI forum can't be beat!
Sean Mewshaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio