DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   inline mute button on a mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/107448-inline-mute-button-mic.html)

Russell Banks November 7th, 2007 04:06 PM

inline mute button on a mic

I am filming some meetings and would like to setup an inline mute button on a couple of mics, that way when someone wanted to talk they would just simple hit or hold down the button to be heard. It would free me up from having to work the audio board as well as run the video equipment.

anyone know of something like that?

Allan Black November 7th, 2007 04:20 PM

My experience is, most of them forget to use the button and make a mess and having to do it was distracting to a few.

Shure made a mixer than has audio gates and a few mic inputs, it's an old rig now and was expensive, maybe there are newer/better options around if you're into meetings.
Cheers.

Russell Banks November 7th, 2007 04:36 PM

i was thinking of just getting a noise gate and a compressor and setting them to counteract the paper rustling and coughs. Just trying to make my job easier.

Allan Black November 7th, 2007 05:02 PM

Of course, and less hassles in post. Gates have to be watched too, else the low talkers get lost. Watch you don't strangle the audio, if possible maybe feed each mic to a separate track unprocessed, to be safe.

It all depends on the style, size and duration of meetings too. After some years at this, we got to the stage of sternly telling the organisers if the participants didn't toe the line, they'd be off mic and the thing would collapse. We'd organise someone from the client to keep order.

Another way is to set up mics on stands around the place, so folk having something to say have to approach the mic first. It keeps some order, keeps the wankers out of it, especially after the booze at lunch.
Cheers.

Don Bloom November 7th, 2007 05:08 PM

I've used them but can't remember if they are Shures or not. I can't remember the model number either sorry. They are a nice looking desk model and IIRC with a neck to hold pretty much any mic. You plug a short XLR into the stand from the mic and one out and you're set to go. There is a switch that you can lock the button open with so it becomes an open mic. Most people actually do remember to push the button but there are those that forget. Usually after a 3 martini lunch ;-)

Don

Russell Banks November 7th, 2007 05:13 PM

I pretty much record the same meeting every week with 12 mics. Everyone is sitting behind a desk except for the presenter. There is always a lot of table noise and a lot unwanted noise. At least the compressor would keep everyone from noticing when someone kicks the table.

Thanks for all your help Allan

Bernie Beaudry November 7th, 2007 07:42 PM

Auto mic mixer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 771853)
My experience is, most of them forget to use the button and make a mess and having to do it was distracting to a few.

Shure made a mixer than has audio gates and a few mic inputs, it's an old rig now and was expensive, maybe there are newer/better options around if you're into meetings.
Cheers.

Shure makes automatic mic mixers that use a microprocessor to turn off unused mics and turn on mics spoken into. The last mic always stays on so your room sound doesn't disappear. Audio Technica, Lectrosonics, and a few others make similiar units. The shures are the most commonly used and come in 4 and 8 channel configurations. They can be linked together for more inputs. They work really well and are easy to set up. Far easier than trying to get gates set properly and more effective. I've used them for very large meetings (20+ people) and they are a life saver.
Check them out.
Bernie

Russell Banks November 8th, 2007 07:50 AM

would the automatic mixers work against the cough and paper rustling? I mean that is considered sound going into the mic, or does it only allow one mic to be hot at a time?

Bernie Beaudry November 8th, 2007 11:10 PM

It will help some.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Banks (Post 772170)
would the automatic mixers work against the cough and paper rustling? I mean that is considered sound going into the mic, or does it only allow one mic to be hot at a time?

The auto mixer won't eliminate the cough and paper rustling, but then a noise gate wouldn't do much for this either. The coughing would be more of a problem because its coming from the person's mouth. The paper rustling would be less an issue because its not a sharp loud sound unless people are really thoughtless and rude. The mixers have one control for each mic that adjusts the volume/sensitivity. If you see someone about to cough you could turn that channel down temporarily. I would see if you can rent one or look at a manual to see if it works for your situation. I've tried to do the same job using noise gates and its a nightmare. Especially if some people are soft spoken. The auto mixer is a cleaner easier way to go.
Bernie

Russell Banks November 13th, 2007 09:26 AM

they only let one person talk at a time right? What about in a discussion setting? If people are going back and forth do both mics stay on or does one shut off and on?

Thanks for all your help

Bernie Beaudry November 13th, 2007 10:45 AM

good conversation is possible

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Banks (Post 774696)
they only let one person talk at a time right? What about in a discussion setting? If people are going back and forth do both mics stay on or does one shut off and on?

Thanks for all your help

No problem with discussion at all. You won't even notice the mixer doing its job and its very easy to set up. Just one control for each mic. There are some internal settings that need to be addressed before using, but the manual is pretty good, and these are used for this type of thing all the time so the settings may already be where you want them.