Live Audio Recording Advice Needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 12th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Live Audio Recording Advice Needed

I have been asked to record both audio and video for a Christmas program at a local church.

The sanctuary is very large and the sound system in place is not going to be utilized because of the great acoustics. The program will feature a 50 person choir on risers and an orchestra on the floor in front of them. I was asked to record a video, but they also want the audio on CD. Needless to say, I have to capture the audio as well as I can regardless of the format it will be heard in.

I will be using three cameras (a Sony VX-2100, Canon GL-2 and a Sony consumer (for fill, if necessary)) that will be picking up the ambient sound through their respective mics. I have a small mixer, MiniDisc recorder, wireless lav system and two Shure PG57s with cable and stands.

Now, the BIG question.....given my current setup, what's the best way to approach this? I could possibly pick up two more mics (2 for the choir, two for the band), but my mixer only has 2 XLR mic inputs. Everything else is line level 1/4" jacks.

I have only a small budget (> $200) for more equipment purchases at the present time.

How much trouble am I in??? :)
Rey Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey Lowe View Post
I have only a small budget (> $200) for more equipment purchases at the present time.

How much trouble am I in??? :)
A lot! You're better off paying somebody who can record the audio with the proper equipment and give it to to sync in post, or feed it to you to use as a guide track.

I can probably find a couple of people in your area that can tackle something like this for you within your price range if you're interested. If so, just drop me a private message and I'll give you some people to contact.

Wayne
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Have the church hire sound person that specializes in recording classic music and have them give you a fead to your cams. They will have the right mics and preamps. Have the church pay for it!
One person can't do it all.
Brooks Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just to clarify a bit. I am doing this for free in lieu of DVD/CD sales. I have also explained to the director that I am not an audio guru. I do the best I can with mic placement to compliment the video and have done very well in the past with my current setup on smaller events. Their concern is getting a good "balanced" sound between the choir and band.

Having said this, placing the two mics on either side of the choir should take care of them (they have worked well in the past for school flute/recorder/choral concerts). As far as the band, is there a condenser-type mic that will work on a line level input?

In the meantime, I will tell them the situation and see what their means are. However, if they still want me to go ahead with it, can I get a decent recording using 4 mics (two on the choir and two on the band)?
Old November 12th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Um, Brooks is correct.

It is often difficult to say, "no, I can't" or "that won't work."

Yes you wil be able to record some sound. The best wild-assed attempt would be to attend a full rehearsal and find the one spot in the space where the sound is balanced best, stick a mic or two there and pray that the real performance is somewhat similar.

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you for all of the advice, gentlemen!

I have left it up to the music director. I pretty much told him that if he expects a stereo sound recording of basically what the audience in attendance will be hearing, perhaps with some balance between the choir and band - I can do that. Any more than that and it is simply beyond my equipment and capabilities given the size of the hall and the lack of a sound system. That is something best left to a sound engineer or at least someone who specializes in audio recording.

I would rather gracefully bow out of the job than to get a reputation of not coming through with good quality product. I have been doing smaller events that utilize a soundboard I can tap into and have just begun to take on weddings and both seem to be going fairly well. Something of this scale and expectation is just not within my means - audio wise. Thanks to all of you for showing me that.
Old November 13th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #7
Inner Circle

No problem. It's very curious how some performers will crab about the recording, when it's actually their (or someone else's) performance that's the clinker. You will seldom actually hear about their gripe, but they'll pee in your well any way.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio