DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Speakers died (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/107999-speakers-died.html)

Steven Davis November 14th, 2007 09:53 PM

Speakers died

I have my new Bx5's plugged up to my m-audio pci card. And all the sudden I got this loud buzz in my right speaker, it doesn't matter if my speaker jack is plugged in or not, the other speaker doesn't have the buzz. These speakers are relatively brand new. I figured it might be a ground issue or a network interference issue, so I pulled the speaker away from my desk about 6 feet and with only the power plugged in, I still have the buzz. Any ideas?

I was hoping it was my power cord, but I used the same one from the non-buzz speakers and I still got the buzz. Also the non buzz speaker is just powering down. When I turn the buzz speaker on and off, it pops very loud and then starts buzzing.

Chris Soucy November 15th, 2007 03:00 AM

Hi Steven...........

Sounds like it's toast, to me.

Guess it's time to go call in that warranty and get a replacement.

CS

Steve House November 15th, 2007 03:49 AM

Chris is probably right but before you do, completely the L & R connections at the interface. If your buzz moves to the other speaker the fault is in interface. If not, swap the speaker ends of the cables between the two speakers. If the buzz moves now, it's the cable that's bad. If not, it's probably the speaker and as Chris suggested, see if you can swap it out for another or get it replaced under warranty.

Steven Davis November 15th, 2007 06:16 AM

Thanks, after that, I guess since the thing is just buzzing with only the power plug, I guess I'll give them a call today. I can't remember exactly, but I think the speakers are less than 6 months old.

Steven Davis November 16th, 2007 11:34 AM

Update

I went last night and picked up a pair of Yamaha HS50ms. I debated about getting a bigger set of speakers, but budget and such, I went with something pretty much the same size, and from what the salesperson said, a better speaker than my BX5es.

According to M-audio, I'm going to have to send my defective product back. I am not happy that after 5 months that speaker went. That's ridiculous. And for m-audio not able to do an in store RMA is annoying. So to replace them, I bought Yamaha, hopefully these won't die.

Vent over. Thanks for the help guys.

Steven Davis November 18th, 2007 08:59 AM

I picked up HS50ms

Steven Davis January 8th, 2008 02:47 PM

Update;

Well now I got my Bx5's back in the mail this week. Now I have four speakers. As far as I can tell from the voicemail description, the main board in one of the speakers died. I haven't opened up the box, but now I have four speakers, one short of surround. Yipe

Steve House January 8th, 2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 804947)
Update;

Well now I got my Bx5's back in the mail this week. Now I have four speakers. As far as I can tell from the voicemail description, the main board in one of the speakers died. I haven't opened up the box, but now I have four speakers, one short of surround. Yipe

Whee - buy one more of the same type as the better of the two pair, make those three your front and centres and you're well on your way to surround.