DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   xhg1 sync with xha1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/108264-xhg1-sync-xha1.html)

Bruce Mishkit November 18th, 2007 10:48 PM

xhg1 sync with xha1

Does anyone know if it is possible to send timecode and wordclock from a xhg1 to a multi-track audio recorder so I can lock the audio and video for concert recording and at the same time jam sync or free-run with a xha1?

I can't afford two G1's and have everything locked so I'm looking for other possibilities.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Steve House November 19th, 2007 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Mishkit (Post 777777)
Does anyone know if it is possible to send timecode and wordclock from a xhg1 to a multi-track audio recorder so I can lock the audio and video for concert recording and at the same time jam sync or free-run with a xha1?

I can't afford two G1's and have everything locked so I'm looking for other possibilities.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Since the A1 doesn't have any timecode I/O there's no way to jam it from another device. You can use the trick of setting the cameras side by side and setting the clocks on both at the same time using the remote and that will get you close but it's not going to be frame accurate sync and they may gradually drift apart since there's nothing locking the two together. That's also not the same thing as jamming sync, where a timecode source sends it's signal to another device's clock to slave it with frame-level accuracy. The G1 puts out timecode so you can send it directly to a recorder like the SD702t or 744t and jam the recorder to the camera but that still leaves your A1 out in the cold. Depending on the recorder you use, though, you still will need a converter for timecode or video black burst to wordclock if you need sample-level locked audio to insure against drift over long shots. Timecode alone doesn't lock the sample clocks together like wordclock does.

Bruce Mishkit November 19th, 2007 10:55 AM

Locking audio

Steve, thank you very much for the reply. I am aware that timcode gives me a start point but I need wordclock to lock both clocks together. I thought that the G1 would output both. Maybe I could further explain my work flow and you or others might have some insight.

I'm an audio engineer that wants to start offering my clients quality dvd's of their concerts. It would be either one, two or three camera shoots. I multi-track my audio on one of two decks depending on the size of the group. Either a Tascam DA-78HR with timecode and wordclock in and out or a Tascam MX-2424 with timecode, wordckock and video in and out.

I record mainly classical and jazz concerts. I can send a two-track reference mix to the camera but the finished audio would come out of Pro Tools and get layed back to FCP. I'm new to FCP but I've talked to two experienced FCP editors and they didn't feel there would be a problem lining up the audio and video if they were recorded un-locked. I have my doubts.

If I am doing a one camera shoot and the music lasts 45 minutes, I'm not sure how much drift there would be but any would probably be un-acceptable. In a multi-camera shoots I can envision doing a close-up of the pianists hands and the audio would have to be locked with the video.

The G1 was the only camera with timecode in a price I could afford. I'd much rather buy two A1's for about the same price if I knew the audio locking thing wouldn't be a problem as per the two FCP editors I spoke to.

If the G1 only has timecode out and I converted that to wordclock and sent that to my multi-track then the clocks would be sample locked but then how would I record timecode from the camera?

Again, I apprciate your time and welcome any thoughts.