vx2000 clip mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 15th, 2003, 07:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

vx2000 clip mic

Hi,
What clip mic would someone recommend for a VX2000?
Im about to make a car guide and the presenter will be talking while walking thru showrooms etc. I need a clip mic but dont know what to get and from where? Will they all work with a vx2000?
Also, in an interview situation, how do u get two clip mics working off of one camera?
cheers for any help.
Trent O Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 09:14 AM   #2
Wrangler

What are you willing to spend? The simplest solution is a pair of wireless mic like the Sennheiser Evolution 100 series.

There are of course other options too. One common methof is to use a shotgun and let a soundman direct it at the talking talent. You could also use a pair of MD recorders and lav (clip) mics. You synchronize the sound on MD recorders with a clapboard.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 01:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks

Answer - id like to spend a s little as possible!

You say a pair of wireless mics. Id fit the reciever to the camera - both clip mics would work off the one reciever?

Shotgun would make the most sense - except theres only me and interviewer!
Trent O Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #4
New Boot

Interviews using two wired XLR mics connected to a BeachTek DXA-4 adapter and then by its mini cable to the mic input on the VX2000 will lay down a left and a right audio track on the cam's tape. I keep the cam set permanently on 16 Bit audio. Sorry for late response from a new member.
Andrew Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2003, 01:11 PM   #5
Wrangler

Wireless works only in pairs so you'd need two pair for two microphones.

Why not just rent a couple of wireless setups. Not too expensive if you only need them for a few days.
Old October 11th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #6
New Boot

Do you know if the wireless receiver in the Sennheiser 100 ENG kit can use XLR as well as mini jack lin connecting to BeachTek box. If not, I see no way to connect 2 wireless kits to the VX2000 without a mixer.
Old October 11th, 2003, 03:20 PM   #7
Trustee

The Sennheiser evolution receivers can use XLR as an input. I had the mini jacks cut off and XLR's soldered on. Much more standard and convenient.

You could also use two XLR's connectected to a mini stereo. that would give you a separate input for the left and right track. Hosatech makes a cable for $20. Since the receivers have a gain control, a mixer or beach wouldn't be necessary.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2003, 03:35 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I think this fellow is looking for a cheaper solution. Just buy a Sony clip on stereo lapel microphone.

One-Point Stereo Microphone ECM-719

It has some nice features and basically does the job. I used this
before moving to a wireless setup. There are other lapel mics
for less, but you're always stuck with the "leash" until you move to wireless.

To attached two microphones to your vx2000, just use a number of audio connectors to break out the left and right channels, and merge them to the tip/ring/sleeve input in your microphone jack.
Although RCA <-> 1/8" jack converter cords are less sexy and all 1/8", I find that they usually hold up better because the RCA jacks connections are more snug. Also, they're more common
and cheaper. For a stereo microphpone, use a Y-type break-out cord of 1/8" *stereo* phono plug FEMALE to two RCA female. If the RCA female connectors aren't available, you can buy the dual- RCA terminated female connectors. To get the signal into your VX2000, buy the usual computer audio Y cable: 1/8" male stereo tip-ring-sleeve to dual male RCA jacks. The shorter, the better.
For mono mics, you can buy mono Y cables to split the signal to both inputs of your VX2000.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2003, 04:24 PM   #9
Wrangler

I have purchased 2 sets of Sennheisers and both times they came with minijacks and XLR cables for connecting the receiver to a mixer or camera.

B&H also sell extra cables.
Old October 11th, 2003, 08:28 PM   #10
New Boot

OK then, problem solved. Both wireless receivers will plug into BeachTek box XLR sockets with supplied cables, or alternatively but less desirably because of loss of its gain control, one will plug into AUX minijack which feeds left channel, and the second receiver plugs into XLR right channel. Does having two receivers side by side cause degradation of signal?
Old October 12th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #11
Wrangler

Each receiver has an output level control.

I've used pairs side-by-side with no problem. I suppose an antenna of one could shroud the antenna of the other. The pair I use have different frequency bands.
Old October 12th, 2003, 08:21 PM   #12
New Boot

Thanks for info. I expect to get hands on experience with 100ENG kit this week. I ordered the "B" kit because the frequencies it offers seem less threatened by interference from local TV stations. If it works as anticipated, I am glad to know that I can add a second kit.
Andrew Webster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio