De-Noising a car dialogue scene at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

De-Noising a car dialogue scene

I apologize if this has been covered - I'm terrible at searching forums.

We have a dialogue scene in a short film, and I am cleaning the audio in Audition 3 right now. There was a lot more engine/road noise picked up than I originally thought, and not being an expert sound engineer I'm having trouble getting off on the right path to cleaning up the situation.

I have successfully removed my actors' voices altogether, but the process of removing or dropping the level of the noise and keeping the dialogue intact is still a mystery to me. Every time I attempt noise removal the program seems to remove both the voices and the car noise - this is using the Adaptive Noise Removal tool.

I am not a sound guy at all, I just happen to be stuck with the editing equipment for now. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful, even just getting off on the right foot would be great.

Thanks
Alec Lence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #2

I don't know what noise removal tool you're using, but, you can try adjusting the THRESHOLD settings. Use the preview tool to adjust to taste.

Does your noise removal tool function by taking a noise print? If so, be sure to take the noise-print in an area of the audio where you have the car noise but no speech.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've been using the Adaptive Noise Removal tool and the basic Noise Removal tool. I've successfully eliminated a barking dog, wind and traffic in another scene, but I'm not having luck with this car stuff.

I'm not sure about the noise-print you mentioned - I'll check up on it as soon as I get home. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #4
Trustee

What are you using, Media Cleaner Pro?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Adobe Audition 3 - I have Sound Booth too, which may be more on my level, though it's less powerful.
Old November 26th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #6
Major Player

Sounds like a hopeless situation, especially if the engine was loud.
You should probably call back your actors to redub the dialog in your studio.
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Just out of curiousity, how was the dialog recorded? I'm mainly curious about your mic placement. Won't help you here but could help in future situations and it would be fun to open that discussion up.
Anna Harmon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio