Time to get serious: Frequency Conflicts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 4th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Time to get serious: Frequency Conflicts

So it's been the talk for some time now that wireless frequencies are going to go through an overhaul.

When I bought my wireless systems I was warned about this but didn't let it affect my purchase. I needed a wireless option and felt that I could get enough use out of it that by the time it does become an issue I would've gotten my money's worth.

I just wanted to open this discussion up in this forum. I did a search and didn't find any threads specific to this.

Anybody have any news? Is it going to be as devastating as the rumors say it is or is it like when NY was on Orange Alert.
Anna Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

All I know is that google is bidding on 700mHz.
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #3
Major Player

700 MHz was purchased in the US by AT&T for a couple of billion dollars. What that ultimately means is anybody's guesswork. When I posted a similar question on RAMPS about this, Larry at Lectrosonics didn't even know really what this means to the wireless spectrum. However, most mixers (myself included) are now shying away from block 28 devices.

Wayne
Old December 4th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Is no one reporting on this because they're not really sure what's going to happen either?

It reminds me of the Y2K problem.

I mean is there nothing released from the FCC or whoever?
Anna Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Harmon View Post
Is no one reporting on this because they're not really sure what's going to happen either?

It reminds me of the Y2K problem.

I mean is there nothing released from the FCC or whoever?
I think it's a bit pre-mature to guess on the outcome. There's a lot of shifting going on with regard to the frequency spectrum. I've read a couple different things, but nothing with enough certainty to offer up any advice. I'm thinking that the limited range of a wireless mic would still allow it to operate without interfering with other licensees, but the reverse may not be true and you might not find an open frequency to use when all is said and done.

If AT&T did purchase it, I'd be willing to bet on some type of WiMax system rollout with faster wireless broadband in portable devices such as cell phones.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #6
Major Player

Is it known yet if this will affect Canada, as well?
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #7
Major Player

Tower of Babel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Harmon View Post
So it's been the talk for some time now that wireless frequencies are going to go through an overhaul.

When I bought my wireless systems I was warned about this but didn't let it affect my purchase. I needed a wireless option and felt that I could get enough use out of it that by the time it does become an issue I would've gotten my money's worth.

I just wanted to open this discussion up in this forum. I did a search and didn't find any threads specific to this.

Anybody have any news? Is it going to be as devastating as the rumors say it is or is it like when NY was on Orange Alert.
Hi Anna,

I'd relax for now. Channel C transceivers operate from 740-776Mhz (US TV channels 59-64).

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/resources/Info_freq_C.pdf/$File/Info_freq_C.pdf

The FCC auction opens portions of the spectrum from 698-806 Mhz. So we're interested in the 12 licenses for block C: 746-757Mhz (776-787Mhz).

http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/dat...HzBandPlan.pdf

The FCC opens infamous "Auction 73" on January 24, 2008, with service beginning February 17, 2009.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/def..._summary&id=73
http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/def...e%20Operations

They will allow carriers to operate the following services: flexible fixed, mobile, and broadcast uses, including fixed and mobile wireless commercial services (including FDD- and TDD-based services); fixed and mobile wireless uses for private, internal radio needs; and mobile and other digital new broadcast operations. These uses may include two-way interactive, cellular, and mobile television broadcasting services.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/def...e%20Operations

My take is that when we fire-up our receiver, we'll immediately bypass (scan past) "always on" carrier waves. Theoretically, most of the frequencies will be used by mobile cellular frequencies - the stuff that jumps frequency bands from cell site node to node. Typically mobile gear will scan/listen to available frequencies before tuning their frequency agile tranmitter to a frequency we've selected (our transmitters keep carrier wave until turned off). Of course, this is all conjecture perhaps working fine in my area while your area might have something bizzare like a collision detection method that renders a frequency unusable. As I used to advise my inquisitive daughter - W.A.S. (Wait And See)

Others thoughts?

Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio