DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sony Wireless Mics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/110201-sony-wireless-mics.html)

Antonie Koen December 14th, 2007 12:41 AM

Sony Wireless Mics

I am wanting to buy 2 mics from Sony. One is a lavalier mic with portable camera mountable tuner (Sony UWP-C1) and the other is a handheld mic with a desktop tuner (Sony UWP-S2).

As far as my budget goes, I don't want to buy more than these 2 mics at the moment.

My question is, can I use the mic from the one package with the tuner of the other. For instance, can I use the lavalier mic with with the desktop tuner and the handheld mic with the portable camera mountable tuner? Or, do I have to buy another tuner if I want to use the handheld mic with the camera mountable tuner?

I am a real novice when it comes to sound and any advice is welcome.

Jack Walker December 14th, 2007 02:20 AM

The short answer is "yes," if they are in operating in the same Channel range. (And they are the same Series from the same Manufacturer, which the ones you list are.)

If they work on the same frequency range, either transmitter should be picked up by either receiver.

If you buy the two units from the same source at the same time, you can specify that you want them on the same channel (frequency range).

The Sony transmitters/tuners in the UWP series seem to be made to operate either on TV Channels 62,63,64 & 65 or TV Channels 66, 67, 68 & 69. Each channel has a range of frequencies. By getting the same channel set in both systems, the units will be able to operate on the same frequency and the transmitters and tuners will be interchangeable.

To be very basic, each system has a transmitter and a receiver.

The two transmitters are:
--The hand mic has a built in transmiter. (Or a plug on transmitter can be used on a hand mic.)
--The lavalier mic plugs into a body pack transmitter worn on the person.

The two receivers are:
--The on-camera small receiver that comes with the body pack and the lavalier.
--The table top receiver that comes with the hand-mic with built-in transmitter (or a hand mic with a plug-on).

As long as the transmitters and receivers are capable of send and receiving the same frequency (thus are the same channel from the manufacturer) and they are from the same series put out by the manufacturer (so they are sending and receiving with the same protocals) they should all work with each other.

The key is to tell your salesperson what you want. so you get units that match.

The other consideration regarding channels concerns your location. Certain channels (frequency ranges) are more suitable to some areas than others. The place you buy from should know what works in your area. Also, the Sony units cover enough of a range that I don't think this will be an issue. Either of the ranges offered in the UWP series should be fine.

Here is the Sony webpage for the UWP series wireless. These products should all work together if they have access to the same frequency range (channel):
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...ss_microphones

Kit Hannah December 14th, 2007 03:12 AM

Antonie,

Just curious, but is there a reason that you've chosen to go with the Sony mics over, say, Sennheiser? You mention budget and Sony is definitely not known for having budget anything, especially when it comes to audio equipent. I have had a few wireless Sony systems, each time think the next would be better, but we tended to have a lot of problems with them (dropping out within 20 feet?!). This was on all of our systems, not just an isolated incident.

Not to push Sennheiser, but we have also had many of their systems. Not only do they sound better and perform better, they are definitely less pricy unless you need their top end stuff.

IMHO....

Antonie Koen December 14th, 2007 03:22 AM

Thanks Jack. A lot of valuable info for me. Much appreciated.

On more question. Is it possilbe to use one receiver (on-camera) for say two lavalier mics, based on fact that everything will be from the Sony UWP product range? I think this is a long shot but would be nice if it is possible.

Allan Black December 14th, 2007 03:28 AM

Early 2006 Sony agents ran a special low cost UWP deal here and I bought a kit. I found the supplied lav no good, no tops, dull. Sony doesn't even put a model no. on it.

So by the time I bought the industry standard Sony ECM77B lav, the total price equaled the Sennheiser equivalent. I've had no trouble with the rig at all. Check all the prices carefully.

Now I'm looking at a twin lav mic/transmitter set up which wasn't available back then.
Cheers.

Jack Walker December 14th, 2007 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonie Koen (Post 792305)
Thanks Jack. A lot of valuable info for me. Much appreciated.

On more question. Is it possilbe to use one receiver (on-camera) for say two lavalier mics, based on fact that everything will be from the Sony UWP product range? I think this is a long shot but would be nice if it is possible.

You have to have a receiver that does this. I don't think Sony does. I don't believe Sennheiser does.

Here is the B&H page with dual systems for on camera use. There is a fairly new Audio Technica and an Azden. The Azden is shown as a Top Seller, but I don't know anything about it. Generally Azden is less expensive and a step below others. I have single channel Audio Technicas with a plug on transmitter and a body pack (using an upgraded mic, though the Audio Technica included mic is pretty good for many things. The Audio Technica receivers are larger than many brands:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/1...l_Systems.html

If you want to explore options, go here in the top left and look at the different systems for ENG:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/catego...crophones.html

As Kit says above, many for cost, size, quality, and ease of use many people are very happy with the Sennheiser G2 series wireless. Two of the G2 on camera receivers are still pretty small.

Also remember you can use the on camera receiver off camera. You don't need a table top receiver, unless there is a dedicated or special use for it.

These are the basic parts and they can all be mixed and matched within the same family and frequency range:

--Body Pack Transmitter (the mics are changeable)
--Plug-On Transmitter (which can be used on a dynamic handheld, a condenser with basttery power or a condenser with an extra phantom power box)
--Built-In transmitter in a hand mic (often used on stage)

--Table Top receiver/tuner (with 1 to many channels)
--Camera Mount (small) receiver/tuner with 2 channels (limited choice available)
--Camera Mount receiver/tuner with a single channel (frequently two of these are used on camera, and some brands/models are smaller than others)