Lavalier Mic with HV20 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 20th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #16
DVCreators.Net

There should be very low hiss on an HV20 with the Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless . Try watching this video to adjust your Transmitter and Receiver http://www.dvcreators.net/products/s...movieframe.htm

Here is a pic with the HV20 and the Receiver mounted. The antenna does not get into the frame at full wide. It's a good match in the $500 range.
Attached Thumbnails
Lavalier Mic with HV20-hv20_ew112.jpg  
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #17
Regular Crew

What mic is that, I didn't get that big fuzzy with mine? Keep adjusting levels try turning up TX and turn down RX. But not clip/peak light.
Too much clothing noise. Crisp sound.
TX= transmitter
RX=receiver
Brooks Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:30 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
Try watching this video to adjust your Transmitter and Receiver http://www.dvcreators.net/products/s...movieframe.htm
I watched your tutorial while doing research... in fact, that is what made me actually purchase the system, good stuff. I actually mounted my in reverse because the cord and antenna were getting in the way.

Brooks - it came with the ME4 mic, and yes, that foam piece is huge and the clip is very cheap. I don't know, I am very unimpressed with the actual mic. The transmitter/receiver seem very nicely made.

Again, I may being nit picking, but it just seems like there is a slight noise. And honestly, the audio quality isn't much better than my ATR35. With that being said, there is a ton less noise... which was the reason I got this in the first place. So, don't think I am bashing it or anything. I just thought for 500.00, they could have included a better mic.

So the new question, would I really benefit from lets say a Tram TR50SQ upgrade? I'm just wondering if there would be a noticeable difference, because it is 230 bucks... and if its just slightly better, I don't really want to waist the money.

My whole goal is to have the least amount of post audio process, so I am hoping better equipment can assist.

Thanks for all the responses.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Lavalier Mic with HV20-senn_001.jpg   Lavalier Mic with HV20-senn_002.jpg  

Scott Aubuchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:56 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Harrington View Post
I have tested the G2 with the HV-20, There isn't any level control for the HV-20, only an attenuator setting
Just to clarify, you can set the HV20 to MANUAL sound control, and adjust the levels using the -12 dB indicator. The HV20 actually sounds better when in manual mode, because the built-in mic pre-amp is fairly noisy, so with a hot signal, you can turn the pre-amp way down and eliminate any hiss from your recordings.
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:44 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy McLoughlin View Post
Just to clarify, you can set the HV20 to MANUAL sound control, and adjust the levels using the -12 dB indicator. The HV20 actually sounds better when in manual mode, because the built-in mic pre-amp is fairly noisy, so with a hot signal, you can turn the pre-amp way down and eliminate any hiss from your recordings.
How do you do that? I only see where you can turn the signal meter on, but I don't see any controls.
Old December 21st, 2007, 04:53 PM   #21
Major Player

When you get to the signal meter using the joy stick, hit the Up Arrow part of the joystick to activate the manual control. A little "m" should appear on the screen. From there, you can use the left and right parts of the joystick to adjust levels. You can also adjust some levels on the G2 itself.

Activating the audio controls on the HV 20 is not as intuitive as it could be! But once you have them on, you'll see a little green bar on the screen that will show your adjustments.

Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 08:02 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Yes, manual, and i also turned the attenuator on the camera mic input ...as there isn't any control at all, just those 2 settings. Then turned up the RX ouput another notch.

Last edited by Brooks Harrington; December 21st, 2007 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Brooks Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #23
Regular Crew

is it better to turn the audio up on the camera (HV20) or on the transmitter?

I got the Tram TR50 working the the G2 wireless and I still hear a slight hiss. Admittedly, I don't know what I am doing. The bar on the transmitter peaks about half way (I set the system up using Guy's tutorial).

When I change the camera audio to manual, I see the green slider, but I have no idea where to set it. I am going to fiddle with it today, but any insight would be great.

Thanks,

Scott
Old December 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #24
Major Player

I think you want to adjust the green bar 'til the meter is peaking around 12...not all the time but just some of the time. That's my understanding but hopefully one of the pros will chime in.

Is it possible that you are hearing hiss from the camera's headphone circuitry? I just got another audio book that said to expect some hiss from the headphone curcuits from lower end cameras.

Do you hear hiss after you import and make a little clip or if you play back connected to a tv?

Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #25
Trustee

Do you hear the noise when you plug the headphones directly into the wireless receiver.

In general you want the raise the level earlier in the chain than later. You want a strong signal from the transmitter to the receiver, then a strong signal from the receiver to the camera, allowing you to raise the level at the camera a minimal amount to get a strong signal. The more you raise the level at the camera, the more you are raising the level of noise in the signal.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #26
Regular Crew

It's weird, I don't hear anything when I plug headphones into the receiver... it works with my camera...?

My latest test was that both the camera and receiver were set at -12dB and my transmitter was set at -00dB... and the hiss was still there.

I will have to try some additional settings, but it just may be my camera is introducing the noise.

Thanks,

Scott
Old December 29th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #27
Trustee

Have you recorded someone talking and played it back on a TV?

When you arel listening, are you listening while someone is talking or are you just listening to the background sound?

In any case, I don't think there's anything to worry about. It is possible to setup for good results and the answers will arrive.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Ok, I think I have it licked...or at least good enough.

now, I just need to put some foam or something on my basement walls to lessen the echo effect all the cement is having.

If you're interested, you can check out the test footage here (latest post):

http://thatsawesome.tv/

I can now start moving down my list of "TO-DOs"

Thanks for all the help!

SA
Old December 30th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
I started with an AT unit and found it prone to drop outs at about 6 feet and it was just devouring batteries. Much happier with the Senn. Keep the AT, however, as it will serve as a backup or when you want to film in inclement weather etc.
Just putting a finer note on Bob's comment. There are different levels of gear from all mfgrs. I have two Audio Technica wireless systems that work very well. Getting good reception with wireless can be very tricky. I always plan for a hardwired backup. Seldom need it, but the few times I have, it has saved my bacon.

My other thought. Going wireless can be great, but you don't mention a mixer. The most basic benefits of a good mixer (better sound because of better circuits, higher levels due to the ability to use the mixers limiter) really make a difference.

Yes, there's quite a bit more to pay attention to. Enough to require another person on your crew. Most folks keep going without that person until they screw up a project. My advice is to start looking NOW for that person to collaborate with BEFORE you screw something up and lose a client.

If that isn't "Rule One" in Best Practices, it should be.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Aubuchon View Post
Is this is good as this unit gets? Or should I be getting better results?
I'm assuming that this is raw and that you didn't do any post processing of the sound. If that's the case, I don't hear anything wrong with it. There is some noise, but I'm assuming that this was going directly into a camera in which case that's pretty standard fare for 16-bit camera inputs.

Wayne

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio