First impressions: Sony PCM-D50 digital recorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 25th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
By the way, the line level input on the D50 is labeled:
LINE IN (OPT)
It seems that the OPT stands for "optional" not "optical" since this is not an optical input. If you want to record form a digital optical connection (TOSlink) you will need a TOSlink to S/PDIF converter. See the link about digital connections above.
It is an OPTICAL input. Although I don't have a PCM-D50, I have seen such inputs on minidisc and other equipment, and page 29 of the manual makes it clear it is OPTICAL. If you connect with a TOSLINK cable, then you need a small optical adapter that snaps on the TOSLINK cable and plugs into the recorder.

Here is the adapter at BH, although it is special order:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Female_to.html

It is not an unusual item, I've seen it at local electronic stores.
David Sholle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sholle View Post
It is an OPTICAL input. Although I don't have a PCM-D50, I have seen such inputs on minidisc and other equipment, and page 29 of the manual makes it clear it is OPTICAL. If you connect with a TOSLINK cable, then you need a small optical adapter that snaps on the TOSLINK cable and plugs into the recorder.

Here is the adapter at BH, although it is special order:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Female_to.html

It is not an unusual item, I've seen it at local electronic stores.
Yes, the manual is clear, I see it now. I have corrected my previous post. Sometimes reading every third word isn't enough.

I suppose the bottom line is that the D50 will record digital audio, it has an 1/8" optical input, and the right cable and/or adapters are needed to connect whatever device is being recorded form.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Here is a link to the cable that I use for optical hookup...

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg...item/SP-TMOC-1

I'm using this as the interface to my computer and the D50....( using that cable)

http://www.soundblaster.com/products...6&product=1780

This gives you optical I/O from the D50 at 96K 24bit.....

I haven't tested it yet, but I think this will also give you voice over
capability in applications like Adobe Premiere Pro........
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks for the info, Ty. I probably will not use the PCM D50 for voice or dialog very much, but if I do I will try to get it close to the speaker as you suggested. I will mainly be using it for ambient nature sounds (rivers, braking waves, ambient bird sounds, etc.) I will probably use the Rode Videomic on my camera for dialogue. While I haven't planned to use any external mics connected to the PCM D50, it's a capability I should probably explore at some point.

I was experimenting with the PCM D50, the built-in stereo mic on my XH-A1, an AKG C1000 on the XH-A1, the Rode Videomic on the XH-A1, and a Shure 57 on the XH-A1 the other day. Obviously the C1000 and 57 are not really on-camera mics. I was listening through headphones while I had the mics aimed at my old TV (a David Attenborough Bird program was on). Clearly not a good field test of any of the mics, but I was curious to see how faithful each system was to the sound of voices and critters coming from my TV's speakers. The TV's speakers are pretty good with a good reproduction of mid-tones and higher bass frequencies. Voices have that nice "broadcastery" warmth on these speakers.

The PCM D50 mics seemed to capture more of the mid and high frequencies than the others, but was not quite as warm as the C1000. You could argue that the "warmth" of the TV voices is not what you would really hear if those folks were actually in your living room. I think that the PCM D50 mics produce what would be caled an "uncolored" sound. Some guitar and fiddle music we had recorded earlier with the PCM D50 mics seemed to provide enough latitude for adjusting the EQ, etc., in post. There is plenty of sensitivity in the D50 mics for capturing ambient nature sounds.

Cheers,

Pat

Last edited by Pat Reddy; December 27th, 2007 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio