Suspension for CMC641 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:47 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Suspension for CMC641

I have a reasonable amount of experience with the Sennheiser MKH-60 with the full Rycote setup. I have the old style suspension. With this setup, I have no problems with handling noise.

I recently purchased the Schoeps CMC641 and a brand-new, but old style Rycote setup. I do not currently have a Schoeps Cut-1 filter.

I find this new setup to be extremely sensitive to handling noise. I am surprised by this, due to my experience with the MKH-60/Rycote setup.

If I reposition my hands, even just slightly, I can hear it in the audio. I am using a K-Tec graphite boom pole with an internally coiled cord.

If I just rotate my wrists (and not reposition my hands) there is no handling noise.

Is this normal, or could I have overlooked a setup problem with the suspension?

Will a Schoeps Cut-1 help?

I feel that the low cut filter built into the MKH-60 probably helps reduce or eliminate the handling noise.

Is there a better suspension that I could/should use?

Just to be clear, I love the Schoeps CMC641. I just used it on a four-day shoot and it was great. (I am using it with a Sound Devices 302 mixer.)

Last edited by Dan Keaton; December 23rd, 2007 at 05:15 AM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
I have a reasonable amount of experience with the Sennheiser MKH-60 with the full Rykote setup. I have the old style suspension. With this setup, I have no problems with handling noise.

I recently purchased the Schoeps CMC641 and a brand-new, but old style Rykote setup. I do not currently have a Schoeps Cut-1 filter.

I find this new setup to be extremely sensitive to handling noise. I am surprised by this, due to my experience with the MKH-60/Rykote setup.

If I reposition my hands, even just slightly, I can hear it in the audio. I am using a K-Tec graphite boom pole with an internally coiled cord.

If I just rotate my wrists (and not reposition my hands) there is no handling noise.

Is this normal, or could I have overlooked a setup problem with the suspension?

Will a Schoeps Cut-1 help?

I feel that the low cut filter built into the MKH-60 probably helps reduce or eliminate the handling noise.

Is there a better suspension that I could/should use?

Just to be clear, I love the Schoeps CMC641. I just used it on a four-day shoot and it was great. (I am using it with a Sound Devices 302 mixer.)
The CUT-1 does help, but nothing beats someone with quiet hands on a boom pole. A Rycote suspension should also be fine.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You might also try a pair of gloves, eg. the white cotton gloves sold at pro photography stores.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:30 AM   #4
Trustee

Maybe I am too loud with my hands but I found the Schoeps to be very difficult to use for handheld boom work without the Cut 1 or using a lowcut on the mixer.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 08:29 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You pretty much have to roll off the bass with the Scheops, at least I do. It's a very sensitive mic.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Jeffery, Seth, Daniel and Marco,

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate the feedback.

I feel that the Cut-1 will help. I never had any problem at all with the MKH-60, but it has a sharp low frequency cutoff.

I was wondering if it was my setup, or just inherent with the CMC641 since it is so sensitive. I was using it with the low-cut enabled on the SD 302.
Old December 24th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Glad we could help.

Again, it will help, but in no way is it mandatory. Some mixers even refuse to use the CUT-1 because of the loss of low-end. That's the life of a boom op.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I've just been rolling off the base with the SoundDevices MM1 or the SD302. I don't think the Cut 1 is absolutely necessary, although I'd love to have one.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
I
I recently purchased the Schoeps CMC641 and a brand-new, but old style Rycote setup. I do not currently have a Schoeps Cut-1 filter.

I find this new setup to be extremely sensitive to handling noise. I am surprised by this, due to my experience with the MKH-60/Rycote setup.
I've not used the MKH 60 on my carbon fiber boom, but I have and use a 416 as well as a cmc641. I use a Rycote donut. I find them equally noisy. I can't say if the MKH 60 is less sensitive.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio