Budget direct from mic recorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 25th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Derman View Post
This project specifically has 3 main characters. So most of the dialogue will invovle 3 people talking at the same time. So knowing that, do you think I should be going with a shotgun or something different?
If you have three people all talking at the same time, the way it was done by Roberth Altman was to put everyone on their own mic and record all the audio, with each mic going to a different track.

Probably not going to be an option for your $200 budget.

The first consideration is where will you be.
The next consideration is how far apart will the people be.

If they are really talking at the same time, which means you must record them at the same time and you won't be able to edit much, and you are using one mic, I would suggest the best bet is to use an omni lavalier, like the one I suggest above, hung just above the three in a tight group. And the room should be pretty dead, with blankets and stuff up on any bare walls.

A shotgun will get you one at a time and it has to be pointed at the speaker. And a shotgun won't work well inside (outside yes). A cardioid ( preferable for a "group") or a supercardioid might pick up two people next to each other, but three might be a problem.

What kind of action is involved? And so forth.

Using a mic on a boom pole is kind of like ice skating. It looks so easy (and sounds good) when its done right, but it takes a long time of practice, some skill (and some tricks somebody will tell you when they think your ready), and when it's not done just right the problem is a major disaster (akin to a hard fall on the ice). Always remember, people will walk out of a movie with bad audio far sooner than they'll walk out on a movie with bad picture. In fact, if the audio is good, it usually doesn't matter how bad the picture is. (Assuming the story is good.)

I have no idea what anybody else will say, but from a practical point of view, I like the possibilities with the little omni lavalier and Pro88 wireless setup for $150.
(When you're done you can probably sell it for a hundred bucks to boot.)

Last edited by Jack Walker; December 26th, 2007 at 10:59 AM.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Jack,

You're entirely welcome. The little AT wireless mentioned is actually not a bad idea.

Hold your breath though, because at the pro end, you'll find that $1500 runs out before you get much more than one mic.

That's why the popcorn costs so much at the movies. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio