Extending range of Sennheiser G2 Wireless at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 27th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #1
New Boot

Extending range of Sennheiser G2 Wireless

I've been using a few sets of Sennheiser G2 systems with the body pack transmitter and receivers on location for some indie movies. I find their range to be very limited. And yes I usually scan frequencies at every location. Is there anything I can do to improve the reception? Can I rig some sort of antenna system on the cart?
Sammy Huen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy Huen View Post
I find their range to be very limited.
What do you consider very limited?
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

One little detail that is frequently overlooked is to get the receiver antenna in the same orientation as the transmitter antenna. It helps.

You mention a cart. Is it perhaps made of metal? This can do some funny things to the signals, especially if the receivers are lying on it so that the antenna are parallel to the surface.

Perhaps you can get your receivers closer to the action?
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #4
DVCreators.Net

Squelch to High

Point both receiver and transmitter antennas down toward the ground, you can flip the mounting brackets on both. We keep all of our transmitters upside down. Waves bounce off of the earth.
Bracket1.com makes a cool bracket to mount your receiver upside down.

If possible, keep 'em in the line of sight - transmitter antenna can see receiver antenna.
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #5
Major Player

Instead of rigging up an elaborate antenna system, just put the receivers on a microphone stand or tripod and move them closer to the source. If you have more than one receiver attach them to the one stand and just run an XLR loom to the stand so that you only have one cable running from the cart to the stand. It's quick, painless and will save you a lot of money as opposed to building your own booster system. If you really want to keep everything on the cart then Shure makes boosters for their own line of products, you could probably modify them to suit your G2's.
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Moving the receivers would be my first choice. There are also directional antennae for receivers. You mount them on a mast, connect them to the receiver with coax and point them at the talent.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #7
Major Player

change to the rack mount receivers. the diversity rx circuits in them will give you MUCH more useable range than the camera mounted receivers. then you can add higher gain directional antennas (a2003uhf), and if you really want, add the AB2 filter/boosters for even more range.

I have all of the above (and 500 series units) and regularly get 1000-1500 feet of usable range with clear freqs.

if you don't want to sink all that dough, getting the tx/rx closer together as mentioned previously is your best bet...
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for all the suggestions! I don't really need 1000 feet range, I really only need 200 feet of reliable useable range. I will try out a few of these methods next time.
Sammy Huen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #9
Inner Circle

200 feet can be easy or hard, depending on the specific setting of the shoot. To get more reliable performance at that range you'd want diversity receivers and preferably amplified antennas. I regularly do 300'... but not with my G2 set, with Sony 800 series with rack-mount UHF diversity with amplified antennas.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy Huen View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! I don't really need 1000 feet range, I really only need 200 feet of reliable useable range. I will try out a few of these methods next time.
Hi Sammy,

Geez, 200 feet shouldn't be a problem provided:

1. You don't have interference (if so, use another frequency)

2. You have line of sight (if not, move tranmitter around body, relocate receiver using longer XLR cable if necessary)

3. Ensure the antenna dipoles are aligned (up/down vertically)

With good line of sight, I can easily get 300-600+ feet with various Sennheisher G2 configurations:

http://www.bridgehands.com/audio

BTW, I was intrigued by Guy's suggestion to realign the transmitter/receiver upside-down. My sense it that would be more effective at higher frequencies (600Mhz); if fact, if you absolutely cannot get a free line-of-sight propogation path, at higher frequencies you might consider realigning your gear to bounce the signal off a metalic surface (trial and error).

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 12:56 PM   #11
New Boot

Thanks Michael for the tips. Yes 200 should not be a problem but many a times it is. I almost always scan frequencies at new locations but it seems they're hit or miss. I will try some of the techniques mentioned here on my next gig.
Sammy Huen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio