3 Mic systems for HVR-Z1U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 30th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

3 Mic systems for HVR-Z1U

I've been doing research on buying 3 microphones setups for my HVR-Z1U, before I take the plunge, would you recommend anything else, this is what I decided on;

1. Sennheiser ME66/K6 - Super-Cardioid Short Shotgun Condenser Microphone Kit Includes: Universal Shock Mount XLR Right Angle Cable Windscreen

2. Rode NT3 - Hypercardioid Studio Condenser Microphone

3. Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series - Camera Mountable UHF Wireless Lavalier and Plug-On Bundle with EK100G2 Receiver, SKP100G2 Plug-On Transmitter, SK100G2 BodyPack Transmitter and ME2 Microphone (C 740-776 MHz)
Yung Mah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Mah View Post
I've been doing research on buying 3 microphones setups for my HVR-Z1U, before I take the plunge, would you recommend anything else, this is what I decided on;

1. Sennheiser ME66/K6 - Super-Cardioid Short Shotgun Condenser Microphone Kit Includes: Universal Shock Mount XLR Right Angle Cable Windscreen

2. Rode NT3 - Hypercardioid Studio Condenser Microphone

3. Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series - Camera Mountable UHF Wireless Lavalier and Plug-On Bundle with EK100G2 Receiver, SKP100G2 Plug-On Transmitter, SK100G2 BodyPack Transmitter and ME2 Microphone (C 740-776 MHz)
All three are good setups but you left out the critical component - just what you will be shooting? For example, the Rode would be a good mic on a stand in the studio but requires the strength of Hercules from a boom operator when used as a boom mic. The ME66 would be fine for ambience and outdoors (though a bit harsh shounding) but wouldn't sound good for dialog recording indoors or capturing wedding vows from the camera position.
Old December 30th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Yung,

Personally, I have been avoiding the Sennheiser "C" frequencies, 740-776 MHz, due to the uncertainty of the future use of this portion of the frequency spectrum. This applies only if you are located in the US.

I would recommend a "A" or "B" version, depending on your location.

The Sennheiser Frequency Finder is a very useful tool:

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...qfinder-ew.asp
Old January 1st, 2008, 03:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
All three are good setups but you left out the critical component - just what you will be shooting? For example, the Rode would be a good mic on a stand in the studio but requires the strength of Hercules from a boom operator when used as a boom mic. The ME66 would be fine for ambience and outdoors (though a bit harsh shounding) but wouldn't sound good for dialog recording indoors or capturing wedding vows from the camera position.
I want to general shooting such as Wedddings, do you any recommendations for mics?
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
I want to general shooting such as Wedddings, do you any recommendations for mics?
For weddings etc there's nothing I would object to in your mic selection as long as you use them for the approriate circumstance. I wonder, however, what you're planning to use the NT3 for? I suggest adding a hand-held dynamic like a Shure or an EV-RE50
Old January 1st, 2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Major Player

I bought the ME66 because it's what I used in art school, but in retrospect I wish I had bought just about anything else. I liked the idea that it's modular, but I can't see myself buying another capsule for it. A good short shotgun (there are tons of recommendation threads here) will work well for certain things when you're outside, but I can't imagine it being a "must have" for weddings.

The Rode also might be a little bulky -- if you're trying to pack small and light, there are a lot of small hypercardioid condensers out there.
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 06:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
For weddings etc there's nothing I would object to in your mic selection as long as you use them for the approriate circumstance. I wonder, however, what you're planning to use the NT3 for? I suggest adding a hand-held dynamic like a Shure or an EV-RE50
What about the
AT4053a
Hypercardioid Condenser Microphone

instead of the NT3
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM   #8
Major Player

I'll let you know in a few days -- I have one coming in the mail. :)

Quote:
What about the
AT4053a

instead of the NT3
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Inner Circle

It isn't a Schoeps, but should be a lot easier to use and sound better than the NT3.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:19 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
What about the
AT4053a

instead of the NT3
Better choice on a boom, as Ty said.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:35 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I don't know where the NT3 as boom mic idea got started. Maybe as a locked down boom with no one holding it. Given its weight and form I can't imagine anyone hand holding it on a boom.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:57 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I don't know where the NT3 as boom mic idea got started.
Somebody here on the forum mentioned that they had used the NT3 on a boom and liked the sound of it. For some reason that thread must have lead others to thinking that it was the way to do it (it's not).

Wayne
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
1. Sennheiser ME66/K6 - Super-Cardioid Short Shotgun Condenser Microphone Kit Includes: Universal Shock Mount XLR Right Angle Cable Windscreen...
I'm definitely not a fan of the ME66.

Not knowing what your bugdet is...I would recommend that you try to find something better that still fits in your price range.
Jim Boda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:42 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boda View Post
I'm definitely not a fan of the ME66.

Not knowing what your bugdet is...I would recommend that you try to find something better that still fits in your price range.
I haven't made the purchases yet, but getting everybodies advice, before I do make the purchases, I appreciates all the help, because I only want to buy once, if I have to spent more money so be it.

What would you sugest for a shotgun mic, within reason
Thanks
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:22 PM   #15
Major Player

My advice would be to take a long look at why you think you need a shotgun at all... If I had it to do over again, I'd save a few hundred bucks and not buy one.
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio