It's long - Vid conference and Vid recording mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #1
New Boot

It's long - Vid conference and Vid recording mics

Okay, I've browsed this site amongst others, and I am hoping that some of you can help me out. My side gig is audio and video production, but my day job is A/V integration and I have a new scenario that is calling for my "expertise" from both. I am installing a video conferencing classroom that will also be used as a lecture recording and broadcast classroom.

I have a lecture hall (sloped ceiling 8ft to 15ft) and a regular size classroom (concrete box with 10 ft ceilings) to equip in order to capture "decent" (meaning better than nothing) audience questions. Unfortunately, I am working with existing structure and new conduits and massive cable runs are not available. So ceiling work is probably the way I'll have to go. I do have a tech running all the gear in a control room setting so levels and such are monitored. I hope that's enough back ground, on to the question.

I'm going to have the opportunity to test a few mics and I'm curious on what you all think about the use of a series of shotguns (AT897) on an auto mixer or a series of hyper-cardiod small diaphragm condensers (AT4053) on an automixer? I'm not brand specific and price is a small concern.

Since this is a hybrid vid conferencing and video production system perfection is not required but input is always valuable.
Jamie Rinehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've seen boundary mics on large plexiglass backing boards ceiling-installed for these applications - not used them myself.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I would go with hypers or just cardiods with the automixer configuration. PZMs would work with the automixer too, but would have a more open sound.
Bernie
Bernie Beaudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #4
Major Player

video conference in a large room

I do Tons if video conferencing, and from my experience both AT and Shure hanging cardioid (hypers or supers dont work too well when near the ceiling) choir mics seem to work best, when processed through one or several Clear One XAP800 tied into a Clear One Th2 or Nexia TC, for the audio portion which then can be connected to either a Tandberg or Polycom Codec for video and LAN or ISDN, PRI, connection, all controlled by a nice AMX system (or Crestron). plus there are way too many variables past that, then I would have to charge for design...LOL
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio