Plug-In Wireless Systems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 15th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Plug-In Wireless Systems

I'm considering adding wireless capabilities to my package but can only spend $500 (preferably less). I own some good wired microphones and was looking at these plug-in systems, particularly the Sony UWP-C3 and Audio-Technica ATW-1812D:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...3A+Low+to+High

Can anyone advise as to whether these are good investments? I first need it for a seminar speaker, but if the quality is good enough would use for interviews and to untether my boom. I shoot mostly in mid-sized cities.

Also, how does one determine which set of frequencies to buy? The Sony offers one at 758 to 782 MHz and another at 782 to 806 MHz.

Thanks for any help.
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I use the AT system although mine is the dual channel receiver but I do use the plug in. I use it for a number of things; 1) on any of my handhelds of course, on my drum mic which I place in front of the DJs speaker at a wedding reception and I have a countryman EMW mic with a hardwired XLR that I use for a second lav setup when needed. I forgot to specify to countryman to put a built in phantom adaptor on the XLR so I simply use a Phantom box and then run the plugin off of that. It works extremely well.
I've pretty much been using a plugin for about 8 or 9 years (one system or another) and have found it to be an invaluable tool.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Collins View Post
Also, how does one determine which set of frequencies to buy? The Sony offers one at 758 to 782 MHz and another at 782 to 806 MHz.
It varies depending on where you are shooting and where you live. Most of it is depends on the local TV stations. Lectrosonics and others have tools to help you figure out what frequencies are taken in your area. You can use those to help you.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/service/...tionlookup.htm

Wayne
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Wayne and Don. As to quality, assuming a clean frequency, how will it sound compared to wired? And how much is gained by jumping up to the Sennheiser or Lectrosonic?
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Trustee

I use the discontinued Audio-Technica wireless system and it works great.

I use both body pack transmitters with lavalier mics and a plug-on tramsmitter.

The quality is excellent. Differences you might get with more expensive systems than the AT 1800 depends on your precise use and environment.

Between the Sony and AT, I recommend the AT.

Is a Sennheiser or Lectronsics an improvement? It depends on which model you jump up to and what your environment is. If you stay within the $1000 range, I don't think it's worth the extra money over the AT.

If you go to the 400 Series Lectrosonics, there are advantages, but it's a huge price increase.

The $500 Sennheiser is like by many, but I think the AT is comparable or better (and is true diversity, I believe).

If you want to spend $1000, get the AT dual with one body pack and one plug on (or whatever transmitters you can use.). The lavalier mic that comes with the AT 1800 is also much better than, say, the Sennheiser G2 included mic.

Note: with the plug on transmitter, the mic must be dynamic or self-powered. If the mic needs phantom power you need to add a phantom power supply.

Also, if you are going to go wireless, look at the nearby rechargeable battery thread.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio