DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   What Do You Want To Know About Wireless? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/112725-what-do-you-want-know-about-wireless.html)

Dan Brockett January 20th, 2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Harring (Post 811311)
I'd like to suggest you consider this brand.
My knowledge is dated, but we acutally found this brand did better for broadcast at a top 15 market ABC affiliate than some ofh te other "names" in overall performance, main issue we always hd was fading and RFI.

Another thought, I might suggest someone consider lookng into Ultra wideband UWB technology; be interested to see if it will make it to this application. Promises much better oerall quality, or so I've heard. I don't do this professionally anymore, so note really dug into it.

Hi James:

I would consider Samson except for that none of their lavalier systems retail for more $429.00. I kind of setup $500.00 retail as a minimum that I wanted to consider.

I do have some limited experience with Samson professionally and I was honestly never impressed with their performance.

Not sure where I could find out anything about UWB technology, I will look into it.

Thanks for your suggestions and input, I appreciate it.

Dan

Jimmy Tuffrey January 20th, 2008 05:30 PM

Hi Dan

long shot what with Sony not being so forthcoming but their new digital wireless set up would be a great addition to the test. Have they hit the shops yet over that side of the pond?

Sony DWT-BO1
Sony DWR-SO1D

Dan Brockett January 20th, 2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Tuffrey (Post 811413)
Hi Dan

long shot what with Sony not being so forthcoming but their new digital wireless set up would be a great addition to the test. Have they hit the shops yet over that side of the pond?

Sony DWT-BO1
Sony DWR-SO1D

Hi Jimmy:

The only thing I find is a European based story that it will be out in February http://prosoundnewseurope.com/index....=523&Itemid=27

Sounds interesting although unless this system is significantly cheaper than the Zaxcom digital system, based just upon the bare details in this story, the Zaxcom will be tough to beat, it's digital also and features on-board SD card recording tied to TC. Based upon the story above, it seems that the big deal about the Sony system is that it is digital and that it docks easily to the higher end broadcast Sony cameras. Which is great if you have a Sony broadcast camera but if not?

I will definitely approach the Sony rep when we try to obtain review samples for the article.

Good suggestion.

Thanks,

Dan

Jimmy Tuffrey January 21st, 2008 02:48 AM

I heard a rumor from one of the BBC natural history boys that it will be 'cheap', we will have to wait and see. Not sure where he got that from, particularly if he spends half his time in Borneo.

I have seen the Pro Sound News article as well. Just wondered if there was the normal delay between european release and that in the U.S. Normaly it favours the U.S. region.

Oh and lets not get started on the usual price difference between there and here!

Jim Boda January 21st, 2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 810891)
...I welcome your input, requests and suggestions or this article. I would like to make the definitive sound for picture resource for wireless microphone systems and with your input, I think we can...

Try your best to add Audio Limited as one of the high end models.

Also, do a "line level" test on the units. This could involve doing the standard test but routing it line out of the mixer to the receiver and line in to the recorder. Basically, this would let us know if some (if any) of the these units would ever work well for the occassional wireless from Mixer to camera option at the hotter "Line level" signal path. If any of these units can realistically handle "Line level", it could be a good factor in the decision making process.

Dan Brockett January 21st, 2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Boda (Post 811734)
Try your best to add Audio Limited as one of the high end models.

Also, do a "line level" test on the units. This could involve doing the standard test but routing it line out of the mixer to the receiver and line in to the recorder. Basically, this would let us know if some (if any) of the these units would ever work well for the occassional wireless from Mixer to camera option at the hotter "Line level" signal path. If any of these units can realistically handle "Line level", it could be a good factor in the decision making process.

Hi Jim:

I have never heard of this brand, is it a U.S. brand or ? Will do some research.

Yes, the line level is important. In my experience, some of the higher end units are rated between line and mic levels, although for most of the units, you have to use an in-line pad, which is what I do. I think I bought mine from PSC for something like $50.00. I covered the tour rehearsals for a major rock star for a doc I have been working on. Brought my two Audio-Technica AT-100 systems. Put one the main talent, ran one to the sound mixer to get a line out. Worked out great. Of course, one the music commenced, the mic on the talent was pure distortion but the mix feed was decent.

Good suggestions!

Dan

Dan Brockett January 21st, 2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Tuffrey (Post 811605)
I heard a rumor from one of the BBC natural history boys that it will be 'cheap', we will have to wait and see. Not sure where he got that from, particularly if he spends half his time in Borneo.

I have seen the Pro Sound News article as well. Just wondered if there was the normal delay between european release and that in the U.S. Normaly it favours the U.S. region.

Oh and lets not get started on the usual price difference between there and here!

Hi Jimmy:

Hmm...that would make it much more desirable if it were inexpensive. I also notice that this Sony model has digital output whereas the Zaxcom units, at this point, seem to be analog out only so that could be a differentiating factor for some users.

I checked with Coffey and LSC, neither of them were aware of this model so perhaps it came from the Euro division? With Sony's marketing, who knows?

Dan

Wayne Brissette January 21st, 2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 811798)
Hi Jimmy:

Hmm...that would make it much more desirable if it were inexpensive. I also notice that this Sony model has digital output whereas the Zaxcom units, at this point, seem to be analog out only so that could be a differentiating factor for some users.

Honestly, I don't see Zaxcom changing this. So much of the equipment used on-location is analog, and doesn't use digital, so it doesn't make much sense for them to change it at this point. One other note about the TRX900, it really was designed as a camera hop and has built-in IFB receiver in the transmitter. I'm not sure any other wireless offers this.

Wayne

Dan Brockett January 21st, 2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Brissette (Post 811825)
Honestly, I don't see Zaxcom changing this. So much of the equipment used on-location is analog, and doesn't use digital, so it doesn't make much sense for them to change it at this point. One other note about the TRX900, it really was designed as a camera hop and has built-in IFB receiver in the transmitter. I'm not sure any other wireless offers this.

Wayne

Oh, I agree. Sony has tried to make these digital inroads before with little success. Ever heard of the Sony DMXP01 mixer? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tal_Mixer.html

I have yet to see a professional sound mixer using one. I think the digital output is to appease those users (mainly news camera operators) that are using a Sony Broadcast camera with digital audio inputs. I can't see any sound mixers who are mostly still in the 50/50 world of digital/analog caring about this at all.

Dan

Jim Boda January 21st, 2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 811797)

Audio Ltd
I have never heard of this brand, is it a U.S. brand or ? Will do some research.

It's produced by a UK company. I've used their older model as a rental. I haven't seen their latest stuff....supposed to be top notch.
http://www.audioltd.com/

Maybe the guys at Vark could hook you up. http://www.varkaudio.com/wireless-microphones.htm

Jimmy Tuffrey January 21st, 2008 04:39 PM

The 'Audio 2000, 2020 and now 2040 are pretty much the standard in the U.K.
They are not cheap though at approx. £2250 for a channel with mic.

If the Sony is priced right it could be an interesting idea. Especially as a camera hop what with it being a dual receiver. Assuming it sounds OK as well.
Their analogue wireless stuff sounds pretty bad.

Wayne Brissette January 21st, 2008 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 811844)
Oh, I agree. Sony has tried to make these digital inroads before with little success. Ever heard of the Sony DMXP01 mixer? [url]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/282213-

I came close to buying one of those (used), but the reality is, it's a bit heavy and bulky when compared to some other mixers. Most of the people I work with aren't using Sony cameras, so the digital output would be of little use to me. I think that's true for a lot of mixers and why it hasn't really caught on.

Wayne