Live audio - avoiding feedback - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 30th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking View Post
You're going to be mixing the show so you HAVE to trust your ears! If you don't, well then there's really no point having you behind the desk!
Ha, ha! Good point!

Fortunately, I do trust my ears to a large degree. I can hear a resonance and have a reasonable first guess as to the frequency range.

One thing about an RTA is that I can train people in the IT department (they own the system) to use it. I don't know that I can train their ears. They're good with PCs though. I should be able to come up with a cheap RTA solution to run on a laptop for them.

Next step: get a 31-band EQ...
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Success!!!

We just completed another meeting in the same room with the same speakers, and it was a complete success.

I arrived earlier and set the speakers further forward. I got the president's microphone (Countryman E6) properly fitted. We got a snake and positioned the mixing board properly. I got a 31-band EQ and found the problem bands before the meeting started. The results were ideal.

Still, our president has a very gravelly voice, and he arrived late enough that I didn't get a sound check with him. As soon as he stepped away from me, he muted the wireless transmitter. The first I heard his voice on the system was live.

Still, I was able to ride the levels and keep it just shy of feeding back. It didn't take long to balance the lo/mid/hi EQ for his channel to get a more pleasing sound and a bit more volume.

One adjustment I need to make is to get a hotter signal into the EQ, so I can hit the detection LEDs. As it was any EQ adjustment was by ear only.

Others used a handheld mic. Unfortunately, I was only able to coach one person on where to hold it. Two of the speakers held the mic much too far away, but I was able to get enough level without feedback anyway.

FYI, the EQ we purchased is the Peavey QF131. It's not high end by any means, but killed the resonant frequencies and was very quiet, so it met all of my requirements.

http://peavey.com/products/browse.cf...h%20FLS(R).cfm

Thanks to everybody for your earlier feedback...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio