Looking for help on buying wireless XLR setup with Phantom Power. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 29th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Looking for help on buying wireless XLR setup with Phantom Power.

Hey guys,

I am looking for a wireless setup to replace an XLR cable that goes from my Sony Z1U to mic w/ boom pole. I am steadicam operator and cannot have wires attached at all. This transmitter needs phantom power. It be perfect if it had and have a headphone jack. The boom operator needs to be able to monitor the sound and transmit to the Z1U. I am looking to spend as little as possible without losing too much. What specific equipment should I be looking at? What else should I be looking for in a wireless setup? What’s a good place to buy this equipment? EBay?
Kyle Fasanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Perhaps you might consider something like the Sound Devices MM-1 mic preamp and headphone amp on the boom operator's belt providing phantom for the mic and monitoring for the operator, feeding into a plugon wireless transmitter plugged into the output.
Old January 29th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Major Player

I'd start by looking at this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0_Plug_In.html

it's not the cheapest, but as an owner I can tell you this works great for your purpose. the receiver is one of the smallest/lightest available-important if you are flying your camera. it also has a headphone jack.

the transmitter powers all of the phantom mics I own, with the one exception of my neuman U87a-it's a power hog.

you'll have to add something like a shure fp-12 (bridging headphone amplifier) for the boom op to hear the mic. there is no transmitter i know of that has built it monitoring (Hello manufacturers-take note!!).

i doubt you'll find the sennheiser 500 series on ebay, not that i'd buy electronics on ebay anyway (all must be sold as is-no warranty). B&H is excellent-i use them frequently.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Perhaps you might consider something like the Sound Devices MM-1 mic preamp and headphone amp on the boom operator's belt providing phantom for the mic and monitoring for the operator, feeding into a plugon wireless transmitter plugged into the output.
I used this setup when I boomed an MTV pilot in November. I wasn't super crazy about the MM1. I thought it sounded fine, but in order to have IFB, you have to have the unit setup so your boom mic is in one ear of your headphones and the IFB in the other ear. I simply found this annoying, I found it very hard to get into that sweet spot with the mic 100% of the time. If you're not doing IFB, then it's great because you have a single input and can put that into both ears.

Wayne
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Fasanella View Post
Hey guys,

I am looking for a wireless setup to replace an XLR cable that goes from my Sony Z1U to mic w/ boom pole. I am steadicam operator and cannot have wires attached at all. This transmitter needs phantom power. It be perfect if it had and have a headphone jack. The boom operator needs to be able to monitor the sound and transmit to the Z1U. I am looking to spend as little as possible without losing too much. What specific equipment should I be looking at? What else should I be looking for in a wireless setup? What’s a good place to buy this equipment? EBay?
Zaxcom has it, and I think Lectrosonic

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Brissette View Post
I used this setup when I boomed an MTV pilot in November. I wasn't super crazy about the MM1. I thought it sounded fine, but in order to have IFB, you have to have the unit setup so your boom mic is in one ear of your headphones and the IFB in the other ear. I simply found this annoying, I found it very hard to get into that sweet spot with the mic 100% of the time. If you're not doing IFB, then it's great because you have a single input and can put that into both ears.

Wayne
I am an audio noob. What is the advantage of shooting IFB?
Old January 29th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

sennheiser 500 looks great. anywhere I can get this thing used?
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #8
Major Player

Kyle,

IFB is a form of return audio to the boom op, interruptible so you can talk them into where to be. Usually only used in a broadcast environment, i've never seen it used in a single shooter scenario.

Good luck finding the Sen. 500's used. Most people buy into the 100 series because they are cheaper, but they lack the performance/features of the 500. With audio-you get what you pay for...

Wayne,

I know you prob don't get to choose your equipment on your MTV gigs, but try out the Shure FP-22 if you can. While the amp is a tad noisier than the MM-1 (it only affects the headphone out, the mic is a true pass-thru) the mix can be adjusted better-and mono'd to both ears if you like.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Zaxcom has it, and I think Lectrosonic
Actually as of right now, Zaxcom doesn't have it. At least not shipping. The TRX990 starts shipping at the end of next month. However, just yesterday I received one of the first units from them. I didn't dare try to use it on my gig yesterday evening since I haven't had time to do anything with it but look at the menus before I had to leave, but it's smaller than the MM-1 and it's both digital and stereo. I have no idea on the pricing yet. I'll write more abut the unit once I get time to play with it.

Wayne
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:03 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Kyle,
Sounds like you just need to hire or make a deal with a soundguy. He would have gear and make your life a lot easier.
Good luck
Allen Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:12 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Brissette View Post
Actually as of right now, Zaxcom doesn't have it. At least not shipping. The TRX990 starts shipping at the end of next month. However, just yesterday I received one of the first units from them. I didn't dare try to use it on my gig yesterday evening since I haven't had time to do anything with it but look at the menus before I had to leave, but it's smaller than the MM-1 and it's both digital and stereo. I have no idea on the pricing yet. I'll write more abut the unit once I get time to play with it.

Wayne
Hmm. I've had one here for about three months. It does not like my 416, although it powers it. RF issues.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:19 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Hmm. I've had one here for about three months. It does not like my 416, although it powers it. RF issues.
Interesting... Colleen told me I had one of the first units out the door. I guess you must really have one of the first ones!

Wayne
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:32 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I lied. The one I have is the Zaxcom 700 plugon.

It does have Phantom. My 416 does not like it.

Regards,

Ty
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:43 PM   #14
Major Player

I forgot all about the TRX700... I suspect because I never wrote a manual for it. Which means, that's yet another document I have to put in my queue.

Wayne
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Ok I am going with either the
G2 Sennheiser Evolution 500
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0_Plug_In.html

or
Sennheiser EW100ENGG2 Wireless System
http://www.coffeysound.com/product.p...1&cat=0&page=1

what is the difference in these systems?
Kyle Fasanella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio