Single cam Multiple Mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 11th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #1
Tourist

Single cam Multiple Mics

Hello
I shot a wedding video for a friend a few months back as a favor. Long story short, several people that saw the end result felt that I should get into this as a side hobby. From what I have gathered, many brides forego the video due to budget constraints. So my plan is to offer low-end videography, making sure that the customer knows exactly what they're getting for their money. I'm in an area where videographers aren't as abundant as photographers and most are booked for the year, so I'm not starving any videographers in my area. Back to the point....
I have purchased 2 Canon HG10 camcorders knowing that audio was their main shortcoming for a camera in its class.
What I'd like to do is capture ambient sound along with the lav on a single camera. Can I combine a wireless lav mic with a shotgun mic and jack it into the mic input on the camera? I'm looking at a Senn ew112pg2 and a Rode shotgun mic. I can get both for around $525, but I wanted to make sure that this equipment was compatible with my camera(s) and if I would require additional equipment.
If that setup won't work, I was thinking of putting the wireless lav on the groom and capturing the audio from him to the camera. I've seen where people are using a Zoom to capture audio from the lav, but I thought that maybe it would be better suited as capturing the ambient audio. This way I can use the sound from the Zoom to enhance the audio for the 2nd camera.
I'm not sure if it helps, but camera 1 would be stationary focused on the bride & groom and the 2nd camera will either be fixed or roaming depending on the situation.
Anyway, I would appreciate any help solving my low budget audio needs.

Jeff
Jeff Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Jeff,
Yes you can combine the Senn g2 and a Rode shotgun mic.
You have to use one of these xlr adaptors on your HG10.

http://www.beachtek.com/prod.html

http://www.juicedlink.com/index_file...dio_mixers.htm
Hsien Yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for the quick reply. Which model should I be looking at on the BeachTek site (DXA-2s?)? Does the Phantom power offer any quality gains over the ones that don't have it? I see where the units are powered by a 9v battery, but the Phantom power consumes the battery faster when enabled.
Jeff Powell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio