DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Mount for AT825 on my camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/114750-mount-at825-my-camera.html)

Ronnie Lindqvist February 13th, 2008 04:42 PM

Mount for AT825 on my camera?

Hi,

I have a GL2 and I'm looking for a decent stereomicrophone. I think I will go for the AT825 (recording concerts etc), but I'm wondering about the options I have to mount it on my GL2? Maybe the Röde SM3 will do the trick? But if you guys have any suggestions on what mounts that fits best with this combination, I would really appreciate some advices and comments. Thanks.

All the best
Ronnie

Guy Cochran February 13th, 2008 05:03 PM

The RODE SM3 shockmount is a good choice. There's also the Sennheiser MZSCAM, http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...ansid=USMZSCAM
and a few options from K-tek.
http://mklemme.com/pole/dvcam.html

Myself? I'd go with Bracket1 with the over the camera accessory mount and a RODE SM3. You'll be getting the mic further away from the tape transport/zoom motor noise of the camera and you'll still have the original hot shoe on the camera for an on-camera light or wireless receiver.

Harold Schreiber February 13th, 2008 05:04 PM

Hi Ronnie,

Either pay the $$$ for a Pre-made Shock Mount, or make your own, as some of us have.

Do a search for "DIY" Shock Mounts.

PM me if you'd like Pics of the one's I've made up for cheap.

Harold

Ronnie Lindqvist February 13th, 2008 05:18 PM

Thanks for your advice.
Guy: I'm also have an Beachtek (DXA-4p) at the bottom of my camera. Is it still possible (and advisible) to use the bracket1? I really would love to get the mic a bit away from the camera if the Rode SM3 isn't enough. Sometimes the recordings are really dynamic (classical and jazz concerts).

Cheers
Ronnie

Guy Cochran February 13th, 2008 07:24 PM

LOL. I had a feeling you were going to say that. You would mount the BeachTek DXA-4P under the Bracket1HD.

Shahryar Rizvi September 23rd, 2008 02:59 PM

Canon XH-A1 & AT-822 owner with a similar question

I just purchased an Audio Technica AT-822 and would like to use it with my recently purchased Canon XH-A1. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but would a lot of the advice in this thread apply to me? I know we're discussing an AT-825 and a GL2.

I was thinking of just getting (I believe) a 3/8" adapter to just put my mic into the current opening on the camera. Should I perhaps do a J-Rod or something to get the mic away from the recording mechanism?

Not sure if this is relevant, but I'd like to use a mic w/ my camera some of the time. Other times, I'd like to use my AT822 with either my Boom Pole (a recently purchased K-tek 110CCR) or a mini-tripod (especially if I'm recording stand-up comedy), in both cases, sending the audio to my my Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Minidisc.

Steve House September 23rd, 2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahryar Rizvi (Post 941735)
I just purchased an Audio Technica AT-822 and would like to use it with my recently purchased Canon XH-A1. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but would a lot of the advice in this thread apply to me? I know we're discussing an AT-825 and a GL2.

I was thinking of just getting (I believe) a 3/8" adapter to just put my mic into the current opening on the camera. Should I perhaps do a J-Rod or something to get the mic away from the recording mechanism?

Not sure if this is relevant, but I'd like to use a mic w/ my camera some of the time. Other times, I'd like to use my AT822 with either my Boom Pole (a recently purchased K-tek 110CCR) or a mini-tripod (especially if I'm recording stand-up comedy), in both cases, sending the audio to my my Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Minidisc.

The AT822 is supposed to ship with a pair of cables, one ending in a 3.5mm TRS stereo plug and the other ending in a pair of 3.5 TS mono plugs (L & R channels). It should plug right in to both your camera's and the MD recorder's 3.5mm mic jacks.

Shahryar Rizvi September 26th, 2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 941755)
The AT822 is supposed to ship with a pair of cables, one ending in a 3.5mm TRS stereo plug and the other ending in a pair of 3.5 TS mono plugs (L & R channels). It should plug right in to both your camera's and the MD recorder's 3.5mm mic jacks.

hey steve, i actually bought my AT-822 used and it only came with a cable that becomes 3.5mm. I believe this is all it comes with though, i don't think it comes with the two mono plugs. Is this an adapter i could and should get? The XH-A1 has a 3.5mm mic input though i thought (i still haven't had a chance to really use it yet).

I'm also still looking to find out everything i need to order to use my at-822 with my xh-a1. I see the SM3 recommended here for use with the GL2 and the at-825. In another thread, the SM4 was specifical recommended to me for my needs. I'd like to maybe take the mic further away from the tape mechanism if it's recommended. Any advice would be appreciated - i have my at-822, i have my xh-a1, just need to figure out how to put them together

Steve House September 26th, 2008 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahryar Rizvi (Post 943419)
hey steve, i actually bought my AT-822 used and it only came with a cable that becomes 3.5mm. I believe this is all it comes with though, i don't think it comes with the two mono plugs. Is this an adapter i could and should get? The XH-A1 has a 3.5mm mic input though i thought (i still haven't had a chance to really use it yet).

I'm also still looking to find out everything i need to order to use my at-822 with my xh-a1. I see the SM3 recommended here for use with the GL2 and the at-825. In another thread, the SM4 was specifical recommended to me for my needs. I'd like to maybe take the mic further away from the tape mechanism if it's recommended. Any advice would be appreciated - i have my at-822, i have my xh-a1, just need to figure out how to put them together

`I don't have either mic or camera but AFAIK you should be able to plug the 3.5 mm plug from the mic directly into the camera's 3.5mm jack. According to the AT site you should have received two cables as standard equiipment.

Shahryar Rizvi September 26th, 2008 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 943421)
`I don't have either mic or camera but AFAIK you should be able to plug the 3.5 mm plug from the mic directly into the camera's 3.5mm jack. According to the AT site you should have received two cables as standard equiipment.

Steve,

Yes, I believe you're right. Looks like I'm missing a few accessories (prob why I was able to get it for $125 used). Looking at B&H Photo's description, I'm missing:

* Gun Grip Snap in Stand Clamp
* Camera Shoe Mount Adapter
* (AT8120) Windscreen
* 10' (3 m) Cable (XLRF-Type to Two Mono 3.5 mm Mini-Plugs) Soft Protective Pouch

Hopefully I'll be able to live without these items. Thanks for letting me know.

Steve House September 26th, 2008 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahryar Rizvi (Post 943423)
Steve,

Yes, I believe you're right. Looks like I'm missing a few accessories (prob why I was able to get it for $125 used). Looking at B&H Photo's description, I'm missing:

* Gun Grip Snap in Stand Clamp
* Camera Shoe Mount Adapter
* (AT8120) Windscreen
* 10' (3 m) Cable (XLRF-Type to Two Mono 3.5 mm Mini-Plugs) Soft Protective Pouch

Hopefully I'll be able to live without these items. Thanks for letting me know.

If you have the 'stock' XLRF to 3.5mm TRS cable you should be able to plug it directly into a standard stereo external mic jack without needing any adapters or anything.

Shahryar Rizvi September 26th, 2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 943445)
If you have the 'stock' XLRF to 3.5mm TRS cable you should be able to plug it directly into a standard stereo external mic jack without needing any adapters or anything.

Thanks for this reply and all your other replies steve. Much appreciated.

Hopefully i can get some help with the mounts i need and i'll be all set

Shahryar Rizvi September 26th, 2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 943445)

Thanks for this reply and all your other replies steve. Much appreciated.

Hopefully i can get some help with the mounts i need and i'll be all set