Connecting AT U100 to sound board at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 1st, 2003, 08:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Connecting AT U100 to sound board

I've narrowed my first wireless purchase down to the Audio-Technica U100 or the Sennheiser Evolution 100. I would like whatever system I finally buy to have the option of connecting the transmitter to a soundboard, for situations where it's not practical to connect a cable to my camcorder (TRV-900 with a Studio 1 XLR box). Has anyone done this with the AT? It has a TA5F connector. I have not found a mini-jack-to-TA5F cable or adapter, which I assume is what should be used between the soundboard and transmitter.
-
Old July 1st, 2003, 01:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Try this site. They have a mindboggling selection of cables.

http://www.a2zcables.com/a2zcables.storefront
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 07:13 AM   #3
Boss Hog

Allen,

I use a similar U100 system with my Canon XL1s.

A-T makes an adapter cable (part AT8340) which goes from a standard 3 pin XLR to the TA5F and can take a signal from a sound board into the transmitter.

The cool thing about the T5F connector on the U100 is that adapters can be made up to allow you to connect to an aux out on the sound board, or a mic level out. The U100 manual has section devoted to input connections for the T5F. Plus the U100 has an input level control to allow you to accomadate a variety of input levels without overmodulating the transmitter.

I carry the AT8340 for connecting to a press feed box (XLR) or XLR output on a board. I also had a cable made up to take an aux level (1/4" connector) to the T5F.

Another option would be to use the U100 plug-on Transmitter (ice cube) and plug it right into the soundboards output.

The manual is available on the A-T website under the U100 section.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Old July 2nd, 2003, 08:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Steve,
Thanks; your info is very helpful. If you don't mind a couple of follow-up questions (I'm still learning about audio hook-ups!):

-- the U100 manual lists the AT8340 cable for input from mic, and Equipment Emporium lists two separate cables for the U100, one cable for mic-in, the other for line-in. Would there be any technical differences between the cables? Does the AT8340 work well as a line input?
-- a terminology question: is a 1/4" connector the same as a "phone" connector?

I'm thinking of buying the AT8340 cable and a phone-to-XLRM adapter or short cable, to handle soundboard outputs.

Thanks again.
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 07:23 AM   #5
Boss Hog

Allen,

The A-T U100 transmitter can take a mic level signal as well as a high impeadence line or Aux level signal. Depending on which pin of the TB5M connector is used, determines the type of signal (see the wiring diagram on page 4 of the U100 Manual.)

The AT8340 Cable will allow you to take a microphone level signal from a PA board or a Press Feed Box XLR type connector and connect it into the U100 transmitter.

I am guessing that the Equipment Emporium cable connects the audio from the 1/4" or phone plug to the Hi Impedance or Aux input of the tranmitter.

The key here is proper signal level matching. if you connect a line level output into a mic level input, you will overload the mic input. A-T and others offer switchable attenuator pads (AT8202) that can be used to knock the signal level down to feed a mic input. I carry a couple of these in my bag-o-tricks for just that situation.

Conversely if you connect a mic level output into a line level input, you may not see enough signal and the signal. You would need to crank open the input level controls on your camera and the signal to noise ratio might not be good. (Potentially more noise then usable signal level.)

a 1/4" connector is often referred to as a phone plug as they got their start in the telephone switchboard industry.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Old July 17th, 2003, 09:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Steve,
Would I get good results using the AT8340 as a line-input connector and adjusting the input level on the transmitter? Or, do I really need a separate pad and/or a line-in cable?
I've bought the U100 and am very pleased with the sound quality.
Thanks.
-- Allen
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 03:15 PM   #7
Boss Hog

Allen,

If your board has a mic level output signal, an AT8340 cable should work. If the output of the board is line level, you will need to attenuate the signal before it gets to the transmitter. Use an AT8202 inline attenuator between the XLR output and the transmitter cable. Set the attenuator for 20 or 30 db of attenuation.

Note. I would use another short XLR cable between the board and attenuator rather then plugging the the attenuator directly into the board as the combined length of the attenuator and XLR cable connector is over 5" long. Something that long sticking out of a sound board is just asking to get knocked about.

Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio