Commercial/Pop Music in 24 bit available? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 15th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Commercial/Pop Music in 24 bit available?

I just noticed some music files in my music libarary that are 24 bit 192 kHz recordings of typical pop culture music. I noticed them because of the large file size, 150Mb ish.

I just can't remember where this stuff came from. I do have the purchased CDs of this stuff though. All Redbook standard CDs are 16 bit though, aren't they?

My question is, is 24 bit stuff even available?

Or did I just accidentially up-convert some CD quality 16 bit 44.1 kHz .wav files to the 24 bit (not sure which software would have even done it)?

This stuff sounds really good, but there is always the possibility its really just upconverted and Im hearing what I want to hear.

Last edited by Jeff Kellam; February 15th, 2008 at 02:29 PM.
Jeff Kellam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Jeff,

Do you have the iTunes import setup to up-convert? CD's are still 16 bit 44.1khz and if anything the market is going to more file compression (i.e. AAC and Mp3).
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bufkin View Post
Jeff,

Do you have the iTunes import setup to up-convert? CD's are still 16 bit 44.1khz and if anything the market is going to more file compression (i.e. AAC and Mp3).
I don't have iTunes or an iPod.

So it's not that.

I have a pretty big selection of video editing, authoring and burning software along with Sony ACID.
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #4
Major Player

As mentioned, CDs are always 16-bit 44.1 kHz. I'm guessing that you inadvertently did some conversion on the music. Now, I do have a couple of DVD-A discs and several SACD discs which are higher rates, but with the exception of a couple of the SACD discs, it's all classical music and outside that and Jazz, not much is produced in high resolution audio.

Wayne
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Brissette View Post
As mentioned, CDs are always 16-bit 44.1 kHz. I'm guessing that you inadvertently did some conversion on the music. Now, I do have a couple of DVD-A discs and several SACD discs which are higher rates, but with the exception of a couple of the SACD discs, it's all classical music and outside that and Jazz, not much is produced in high resolution audio.

Wayne
Thanks you guys. I didn't think I had ever gotten any 24/192 music.

I bet my HD-DVD authoring program has been converting audio files (not sure why it would save a copy). I was just looking at one of the HD-DVD audio standards and it's 24/192 for two channel productions, which I usually use.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio