UHF Wireless for $400? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 2nd, 2003, 05:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

UHF Wireless for $400?

Any suggestions on a UHF wireless lav system for $400 or less? It will be used mainly for weddings. Are there any I should stay away from? I can always get a higher end VHF if I have to. Next question, whats the cheapest price range I should be looking at for a decent shotgun mic? Also, if you know where I can get good deals on mics I would appreciate that info as well. Thanks!

Annie C
Annie Cheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 05:12 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Annie,
There are several and I'm sure others will chime-in.

Personally, I've had a Samson 32 channel diversity system ("UM32L350 Camera Mountable UHF Diversity Lavalier 32 Channel System with M32 Receiver, T32 Transmitter and Audio-Technica MT-350 Microphone") for several years and never had a lick of trouble with it, even in such a radio-noisy location as my downtown Chicago home. The only down-sides: it's plastic transmitter case, which might conceivably crack if a big 'un sits on it, and battery life is not lavish.

(I recently bought an Audio-Technica system which seems to be a substantial upgrade on both fronts...for an upgraded price, of course. I'll have my first opportunity to test it this weekend; my wife has roped me into shooting a friend's wedding ceremony...ugh, I can't believe it.)

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 08:51 PM   #3
Wrangler

If you look hard, you might still find some of the discounted Sennheiser Evolution kits out there for $300. Takes some hard looking but they are still out there. That's for the bodypac trans and receiver and ME2 lav.

Great wireless for the $.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 02:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Mike,

anywhere specific you can think of off hand i should look. i'm getting between a $400 and $500 price range from most of the on line stores.

thanks
annie
Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:18 PM   #5
Wrangler

I'll try and find out where my buddy placed his order. He got the lav and plug-on for $500, the same price I got from B&H over a year ago. Not certain I can reach him for a bit as he's acting in a low-budget Hollywood production right now.
Old July 5th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You should give Zotz Digital a call. They're a DVinfo.Net sponsor and have a couple good wireless kits. Their Sennheiser evolution kit is a pack reciever, pack transmitter with em2, plus an XLR-plugin pack transmitter for use with a handheld mic, all for around $500. I'm very happy with the kit myself. I think they also have a Samson kit at a little lower price point.

http://www.zotzdigital.com
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 09:57 PM   #7
Wrangler

That is a very good price. Exactly what I paid and what other resellers are charging around $800.

Annie, I'd recommend that you contact them and if they don't have the Lav setup and you can at all afford another $100, get the combo. You will never regret doing so.
Old July 6th, 2003, 08:22 AM   #8
Wrangler

Annie the Sampson is also a very decent mic. If you can get it at the price you want I'm sure you will be happy with it.

The Sennheiser Evolution 100 series you should be able to find for around $450. I love mine and if I find one for around $300, I will pickup a second one.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2003, 10:43 AM   #9
Wrangler

Evolution 100 System $390 @ Pro-Tape in Houston

Just happen to drop by Pro-Tape in Houston. They have an Evolution 100 system with omni lav for $390. Ask for Jaime (I think).

Old July 14th, 2003, 01:56 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks a ton Nathan. I called them last week and it was put in the mail on Friday! I'm looking forward to getting away from my VHF situation right now.

Annie C
Old July 15th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #11
Wrangler

Re: Evolution 100

Can this system support up to 4 transmitters?
Old July 15th, 2003, 08:47 PM   #12
Major Player

Michael,
If you mean four SYSTEMS, the answer is yes.

Only one transmitter per receiver and each system has to be set at a different freq.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 12:27 PM   #13
Wrangler

Glad I could help Annie. I believe you will be quite happy with Evolution 100. I too was quite surprised that Pro-Tape had one so cheap.

I will probably be back in Houston in a couple of weeks. If they have another one, I buy one myself.

Old August 1st, 2003, 08:33 PM   #14
Regular Crew

B&H has the Evolution 100 for $419 right now (it's listed at $835, but if you add it to your cart you'll see the discounted price).

I'm going to get two of these, but I don't know if I should get the MA-300 XLR adapter or some other kind of mixer (Azden XFM-2?) to hook them both up. I don't have any recording equipment so I'll need to plug directly into the GL2's mic thingy.
Andres Lucero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2003, 08:20 PM   #15
Major Player

One thing to keep in mind when purchasing the $419 package is that the XLR cable is NOT included and it may cost $30 - $40 for that cable.

Therefore I like the EW100ENG Package for $499.95 that includes the special XLR cable as well as the Plug-On transmitter, so for just $80.00 you get a lot more.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh4/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=218349&is=REG
Marty Wein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio