*HELP* VX2000 shotgun microphone advice needed! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 5th, 2003, 09:31 AM   #1
Tourist

*HELP* VX2000 shotgun microphone advice needed!

Hey guys,

I really need a shotgun microphone to help the quality of my films that I shoot on the Sony VX2000. I'm looking to spend about $200-$400 dollars on a shotgun microphone. I need something for short range filming, probably nothing more than 10-15 feet away at any given time. I would like the microphone to mount preferably, but I can deal with a microphone on a pole too. I just need something pretty quick because I need to start filming a project ASAP. I've looked at some microphones, but I'm really not completely sure. Can someone here who owns a VX2000 or knows a lot about them give me some advice about what to buy?

Thanks in advance,

- Joe Calvillo
Joe Calvillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 04:52 PM   #2
Wrangler

10-15 feet away, most any shotgun will disappoint you. They need to be within a foot or so to get good sound without a lot of background. The further away, the less pleasing the sound.

For your price range, an AT835B will do well - Under $250 street price. If you are going to be indoors, you don't need a wind shield other than the foam with which it is delivered. You will require an XLR to minisocket adapter. Either a box with a transformer or a adapter cable from Radio Shack. You might have to put a capacitor in series with the signal if the microphone voltage supplied by the camera causes the microphone to generate noise.
Old July 5th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #3
Tourist

What would you recommend from something like a foot away?
Joe Calvillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 09:52 PM   #4
Wrangler

I don't follow you, Joe. I think I did in my first post.
Old July 6th, 2003, 03:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You can pick up a used sennheiser ME66/K6 (I think i got the model wrong, but anyways) from B&H for $340. It pumps out a pretty strong signal, which is extremely good for your VX2000 since its preamps add noise. Search on google.com for "shotgun microphone comparison" and hit the first link, there are some other ones there. However, I'd stick with the Sennheiser. A shotgun mounted on your camcorder is the most versatile microphone setup, but not always the best.

If you want a boom microphone, then a hypercardioid mic is better than a shotgun (unless there is a lot of background noise, and maybe not even then). If you want to wade through an article, you might be able to find some good suggestions at http://www.harmony-central.com/Other/mic-faq.txt
A shotgun should still work, but it may add off-axis coloration. see http://www.dv.com/features/features_item.jhtml?LookupId=/xml/feature/2003/rose0203

If you want a lav microphone, then I don't have any good suggestions. go to dv.com and ask on the audio forum. List your needs and your budget of course.

For the adapter, build your own. Instructions at http://www.dv.com/features/features_item.jhtml?LookupId=/xml/feature/2003/rose0303 or dplay.com under tutorials.

Shotgun mics pick up more bass as the sound source gets closer. How much background noise you pick up is dependent on how loud your actors, how loud the ambient noise is, the distance of the source to the microphone, and the directionality of the microphone (long shotguns being the most directional).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 03:25 PM   #6
Wrangler

The standard K6 is not a good match for the VX2000. Way too strong a signal. Sennheiser makes a reduced output K6 that places like B&H do carry. I believe it is the same price as the standard K6

I think you can get credible suggestions for a lav right here on this site. Click in to 'Now Hear This.'
Old July 7th, 2003, 05:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Mike, you are talking about this right?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh6/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=92927&is=REG
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:04 PM   #8
Major Player

Jun,
The K6RD is Correct.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:20 PM   #9
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus : The standard K6 is not a good match for the VX2000. Way too strong a signal. -->>>

If the regular K6 is used with a Beachtek or similar adapter, it will be OK (that is my experience)

For a good wired Lav, I would recommend the Sony ECM-44B ($180). If you have a better budget I would step up to either the Sony ECM-77B or the TRAM TR-50. ($290 - $320)

If you are looking for a Wireless lav, the best choice for the money would be the Sennheiser EW100ENG combo package. It includes the Receiver, BodyPack Transmitter w/the ME2 Lav, as well as a Plug-in Transmitter for hand-held mics. Street price is about $500

If $500.00 is a bit too much, I would look at the Samson Micro-32 system for about $400 but would not really settle for any less expansive system.

A good bracket to mount wireless receivers onto the VX-2000 is the Bracket1 www.bracket1.com
Marty Wein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio