Getting Signal from DJ - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 7th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #16
Major Player

Denny, if this is an event with a live audience (aren't they all?) I would strongly recommend miking the speakers for two reasons:

(a) primarily - you want (I assume) some "crowd noise" - if they are singing along, YMCA-style?, cheering, clapping, etc, etc, you won't get that from the DJ, or any other atmosphere for that matter, and

(b) secondarily - it's all under your control - relying on a DJ, for whom you are only a bother, not a priority, is something I'd not want to do.

We use two Sennheiser E914 mikes (able to take a full orchestra) connected to two SKP 500 transmitters - which we can put flexibly on stands or whatever in front of the left and right speaker stacks, transmitting to two EK 500 receivers, which feed the left+right inputs on one of our cameras. No wires to trip over or worry about, either.
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Last time I got a "line level" feed from a house mixer, it was actually mic level or -10 consumer line level. I had to bring it in on a mic input to get enough gain.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #18
Major Player

I have the same sennheiser setup as you. The input on the transmitter is variably adjustable from line to mic level from the sensitivity menu. It will only be mono, but if you can get a feed from the mixer to the transmitter cube, you should be able to adjust the input on the cube to whatever level it is.

I can use the cube (people around here call it the butt-plug transmitter, but that could be colloquial) plugged directly to my re50nd handheld mic (mic level) or directly into the output xlr of my sound devices mixpre (+4db line level) and both work correctly once you adjust the sensitivity. (i believe the menu on the transmitter goes down to either -30db or -36db, i'd have to check.)

So, I cant think of any reason if you are able to physically adapt an output from the mixer to the transmitter that you cant make it work.

Now... be super careful when choosing the output of the dj mixer. Make sure they are actually line level (or less likely, mic level) outputs. I have an old noname dj mixer that has xlrs on the back which are actually powered speaker output. If you plug your sennheiser into one of those, -30db aint gonna do diddly. In fact, it would probably destroy your transmitter before it gets to the input pad stage.

hope that helps!
-a
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dean View Post
I have the same sennheiser setup as you. The input on the transmitter is variably adjustable from line to mic level from the sensitivity menu. It will only be mono, but if you can get a feed from the mixer to the transmitter cube, you should be able to adjust the input on the cube to whatever level it is.

I can use the cube (people around here call it the butt-plug transmitter, but that could be colloquial) plugged directly to my re50nd handheld mic (mic level) or directly into the output xlr of my sound devices mixpre (+4db line level) and both work correctly once you adjust the sensitivity. (i believe the menu on the transmitter goes down to either -30db or -36db, i'd have to check.)

So, I cant think of any reason if you are able to physically adapt an output from the mixer to the transmitter that you cant make it work.

Now... be super careful when choosing the output of the dj mixer. Make sure they are actually line level (or less likely, mic level) outputs. I have an old noname dj mixer that has xlrs on the back which are actually powered speaker output. If you plug your sennheiser into one of those, -30db aint gonna do diddly. In fact, it would probably destroy your transmitter before it gets to the input pad stage.

hope that helps!
-a
Thanks Andrew, I did buy a direct box today, seemed pretty cheap to eliminate any problems. Seems simple enough plug in the line, or mic line to the box, and you get a mic out signal that is safe and easy to handle. I will deal with many DJ's some of which are sharp as tacks, and would have me hooked up in seconds others who may not have a clue and make things a nightmare. I will also be prepaired to mic a speaker if I have too. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio