New Marantz Professional Field Recorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 12th, 2003, 11:23 PM   #16
New Boot

Marty,

In your original post, you make reference to a 640 MB card. Although I'd like to use the PMD-670 for an upcoming video project for school, I'd also like to use it for taping concerts as an alternative to DAT. Two 640 MB cards would be ideal, but a quick search on www.pricesearch.com doesn't show any 640MB cards. It goes from 512MB to 1GB microdrive. shopping.yahoo.com shows a few cards but they're already in or over the price range of a 1 GB IBM microdrive. The Lexar is over $400! Two other brands were also listed, but I have never heard of them: Delkin ($200) and SimpleTech ($150). Has anyone had experience with these brands? Are there any concerns using microdrive instead of compact flash?

Thanks
Mike de la Fuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 12:45 AM   #17
Trustee

I don't think audio memory would have to be the fastest. $235 to $450 is a big swing for lexar (1 gig at B&H)and you only spend the bucks for the fastest when you need it, or have more money than I do>
That may be ok when you're using a 5 megapizel still and shooting multiple frames.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 05:25 AM   #18
Major Player

I did a quick search on eBay and I did find the Sandisk 1GB at $189.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 10:41 AM   #19
Regular Crew

At little OT here but its nice to see another Upstater in the Forums...I was begining to think I was the only one! As far as Compact Flash memory goes i have yet to see any that are different than others. Remember in most camera that picture is transfered to a buffer memory first and then copied to the Flash Memory. I am sure the Marantz works in the same way. I have all kinds of different card..Sandisk,Lexar,Canon you name it there all basically the same....Also IBM micro drives are great but with 1 gig cards here and 2 gig cards on the way there days are pretty much numbered.

Mike maybe if you pick up the marantz would it be possiable for me to take a look at it when I am out that way. I want to see it before I buy and B&H is a 7-8 hour drive away.

Thanks
Old July 13th, 2003, 05:42 PM   #20
Major Player

I just came across a device that allows you to copy data on a battery operated hard drive straight from the Compact Flash Card, which may be a perfect companion to the Marantz PMD-670
Old July 14th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #21
New Boot

Scott,

I'm in Ithaca for school from NJ, so though I've been here for 4 years, I don't know if I'm a NY upstater. In fact, local residents say this is better referred to as central New York. ?( I'm not sure when I'll be picking up the PMD-670, but hopefully before summer's end so I can record some summer concerts in the Ithaca area and use it for some video work. I'll let you know when that happens.

Marty,

What's the make/model on that device you mentioned?
Mike de la Fuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Here's a link to a performance review of various compact flash cards:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Although the performance comparison is a bit dated, it's clear the reviewer revealed a HUGE performance difference. The IBM microdrives seem to have the most balanced performance. For digital cameras, write speed is more important in reducing the wait betweens taking pictures and movies and their transfer from device local memory to flash card memory.

I purchased my first compact flash card from some unknown web site. It was listed as a Samsung flash card. Samsung
is a Korean DRAM manufacturer, so I figured I'm getting something good. The card has no manufacturer listed on the label. Apparently, the only thing "Samsung" about this card is
the flash memory controller. Be careful. Buy one of the brands listed on the performance chart.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #24
Major Player

Mike,
I am sorry that I forgot to mention it to begin with. I found one by Buslink at Office Depot and I also found some at B&H

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=358480

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh3/controller/home?O=breadCrumb&A=search&Q=&ci=3369
Old July 14th, 2003, 09:12 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Well I stand corrected...I guess there "IS" a difference in memory cards. I never noticed a difference with my Canon G2 or my G3 between the different cards I have. But according to that page there is. ..

Mike, I am also a transplant. I have only been here a year I am originally from Tampa, FL....As far as location your close enough. There are very few people on the forum that are that close to me. I was planning on getting a Marantz sometime this fall. Like I said if you do get one before my I would love the chance to check it out. I end up in Ithaca once a month or soo. ...please keep me posted

Thanks,
Old July 15th, 2003, 03:56 AM   #26
Major Player

Great article! Exactly what I was looking for when I posted earlier. Thanks.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 10:22 AM   #27
Trustee

CF Cards

CF cards do fail and when they go you may loose every thing on them. I have 2 IBM Micro Drives and about 10 other cards of various sizes by several makers. 2 of those cards I bought on sale for a cheap price believing they were all the same, those cards are made by I/O Data, they both failed with data on them.

As the storage capacity of these cards continues to grow and cost less take into consideration what you will loose if the card fails. Is it better to have all 4 hours audio on one card or 4?

I love my Micro drives but I do not fill them up "just because I can". It is to scary to have that much of a job riding on that one little piece of media.

Steve
Old July 27th, 2003, 06:32 AM   #28
Major Player

Steven, that's a very good point. I should get into the habit of backing up audio the way we back up computers...
Christopher Go is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio