DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Comments on Azden SGM-PDII (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/116892-comments-azden-sgm-pdii.html)

David Thanh March 12th, 2008 11:40 PM

Comments on Azden SGM-PDII

Hey there,
I was wondering if anyone has any comments on the Azden SGM-PDII short shotgun http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_Shotgun.html
I have an XH-A1 and am looking for a mic that's short (so it will still fit in the case I currently use without taking it off) as well as one that will fit in the stock mount and still stay out of my shots.

Thanks!

Doug Lange March 13th, 2008 04:45 AM

Personally, I wouldn't get this mic. The built-in stereo mic is just as good. When looking for a shotgun mic, there are a few things to consider.
1. How long can it be if mounted on camera? Get a ruler and find out how far in front of the lens before it becomes visible in the frame. Maybe you will be able to run the cam and the mic if it is on a pole or at least on a cheap mic stand overhead, which is still better than on camera.

2. How good of a mic can I afford? Talk to the accountant or the spouse and spend a little more than you think you should and jump up to the next level.

3. What are the specs of the mic being considered. Compare the specs to the most expensive mics of its type. (Don't bother looking at large diaphragm condensers if you want a short shotgun). Then look at the specs of mics that are just a little more expensive than the mic you are considering. Go back to number two and buy the more expensive mic.

4. What specs are important. I'll admit I'm just an ignorant hobbyist who should have taken up golf. It would have been cheaper (but the season is too short in Alaska!) For me, I am interested the most important specs on a given mic.
Frequency response: The lowest to highest frequency (pitch of sound) a mic will be able to pick up or capture.

Dynamic range: The quietest to loudest sound the mic will capture at a given level on your recording device. A bigger number is better.

Signal to Noise Ratio (S/NR): The amount of dynamic range before the noise or hiss created by the mic is as loud as the sound being captured. If this number is small, then all captured audio must remain loud or the hiss will be noticeable.

Maximum Sound Input Level: How loud must the sound be before it overloads the mic and it blows up. Just kidding;-) The mic won't blow but it will distort the captured audio.

A word about dB, which is the abbreviation for decibels. It is used as a unit of measurement for digital and analog signals. When comparing mic specs, a 3dB difference is noticeable and a 6dB difference is significant. Such that if mic "A" had a S/NR of 70dB and mic "R" had a S/NR of 76dB, then mic "R" would perform significantly better. There is also mic "S" with a S/NR of 88dB, which is incredibly significant in comparison and so is the price.

Have fun looking at the specs of the various mics buy the best one for the money you have to spend.

David Thanh March 13th, 2008 07:47 PM

Thanks, Doug!

Kevin McRoberts September 6th, 2014 02:46 PM

Re: Comments on Azden SGM-PDII

arise, dead thread!

anyway... searching about, I was amazed how few reviews exist on this mic, so thought I'd add something.

I received one with a used camera kit last year... didn't really need it, so it sat for a few months. Finally tried it out on several projects this year, and for on-camera use capturing nat sound, it works just as well as my better-spec'd AT897 but is lighter and more compact. Sound quality is better than my Rode Videomic Pro (not completely surprising) and better than the on-camera mice on AF100, HMC150, HVX200, and EX1's I've used it with since then.

So short story version: if you need a simple, light, compact phantom-powered XLR on-camera mic, this works.

Richard Crowley September 6th, 2014 05:21 PM

But what is the noise floor (self-noise) of this mic? With record settings for "normal levels" wait until 3am on a quiet night and record "silence" with all your mics. How does the Azden compare to the others?

Greg Miller September 6th, 2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Lange (Post 841751)
I'll admit I'm just an ignorant hobbyist who should have taken up golf. It would have been cheaper (but the season is too short in Alaska!)

So what do you record up there? Snow? ;-)

Rick Reineke September 7th, 2014 08:53 AM

So what do you record up there? Snow?
- There's certainly no shortage of extraneous noise and other annoyances in Fairbanks to screw up the even best interview... Planes, trains, automobiles, like most other lower 48 locations. Including hoards of vicious mosquitoes during the warm weather months. Been there done that.