DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   anyone using the audio technica at4073a or the akg ck93/se300 combo? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/117051-anyone-using-audio-technica-at4073a-akg-ck93-se300-combo.html)

Rob Katz March 15th, 2008 01:30 PM

anyone using the audio technica at4073a or the akg ck93/se300 combo?

anyone using the audio technica at4073a or the akg ck93/se300 combo?

i have read ALL of the audio stickies on this site and the "other" web forum. i have listened to the wonderful article and audio clips posted by dan (thanks)

even with more knowledge, not surprisingly, i still have some questions:

anyone using the audio technica at4073a, instead of the threes esses (senn/schoeps/sanken) that are mentioned as the gold standard?

and where does the sanken cs1 fit in?

with all this talk of indoor dialogue (sorry for the obvious pun), what about something like the akg blue line series with the ck93 hyper mated to the se300b.

i've read over and over again, that a quality hyper like the akg ck93/se300b combo on a good boom will do wonders on indoor dialogue.

since i do many talking head interviews in small office spaces, i'd be interested in the collective wisdom of those who have more experience than i.

as always, thanks in advance for sharing

be well

rob

Jimmy Tuffrey March 15th, 2008 05:37 PM

I've not used the AKG on a boom but have used it over violins in orchestral concert work. Open air concerts etc.. and many other stage situations. It is very good and sounds nice. I like them. If you want to save money it might be a very good choice. Especially if you can find one second hand. They are light weight enough for booming being shorter and slimmer and cheaper than the AKG C480/63 which also has the problem that it takes along time to warm up, not good when you are out and about.

Doug Lange March 15th, 2008 05:42 PM

The AKG is an interesting system. I bought it because of the versatility with the various caps and extensions.

The three "S" mics will give you the extreme quality often required for high end audio production, which isn't required for my needs. The AKG's sound great whether I'm recording music or for dialogue.

Rob Katz March 15th, 2008 10:04 PM

jimmy & doug-

thanks for your posts

do either of u also have the ck98 ($400) shotgun capsule to go w/the se300b?

if so, how would u compare its "shotgun qualities" to other shotguns in the same general price range? how about the at4073 vs the akg blueline ck98/se300 combo?

thanks in advance

be well

rob

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Lange (Post 843091)
The AKG is an interesting system. I bought it because of the versatility with the various caps and extensions.

The three "S" mics will give you the extreme quality often required for high end audio production, which isn't required for my needs. The AKG's sound great whether I'm recording music or for dialogue.

Lonnie Bell March 15th, 2008 10:27 PM

I have the se300/ck91,ck93 and have used them on a boom indoors and outdoors. They were dramatic narratives so I was able to get fairly close, and the sound was very clean - blows away the on-camera mics. But I was also recording into a pmd670 which I'm sure cleaned it up better than a straight to camera recording as well.

However, after purchasing my mkh416 - there is a difference. I haven't personally used the higher dollar ones, but I'm sure there is a difference between them as well. The most noticible difference with the 416 and the AKG's was self noise and side rejection (which I believe attributes to "reach").

I thought about purchasing the ck98(shotgun module) instead of the 416 to compliment my blueline collection, but I figured for a few dollars more I could own what was the gold standard in film/tv for a lot of years - the 416. Also the ck98/se300 combo is extremely long and I would have had to spend more in Rycote windjammer wear.

Hope this helps,
Lonnie

Jimmy Tuffrey March 16th, 2008 04:23 AM

I like the SE30 ck91/93 set up for what it is but I also would forget the shotgun option.

The 416 has got the most suck if that's what your after. Invest in one and you can always sell it on if you don't like it. Not so easy with the ck98.

Lonnie Bell March 16th, 2008 05:03 AM

Jimmy nailed the investment part - I got a great one on ebay. If I wanted to, I could sell it today on ebay for the same price. That beats renting any day!

Steve House March 17th, 2008 09:25 AM

Just discovered I made a typo in my post on the other forum, Rob. Instead of AT4073a I should have typed AT4053a as an example of a hyper for indoor booming similar to the AKG se300/ck93. Sorry for any confusion.

Marco Leavitt March 24th, 2008 09:46 PM

I have used the AKG CK93 on a boom a lot, and it works great. I don't know about the shotgun capsule though. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people using it, maybe because it's so expensive. I wouldn't expect it to compare to the 416. That's a top-end mic, and much more expensive.

Jimmy Tuffrey March 25th, 2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt (Post 847904)
I have used the AKG CK93 on a boom a lot, and it works great. I don't know about the shotgun capsule though. I wouldn't expect it to compare to the 416. That's a top-end mic, and much more expensive.

The thing about the SE300 for me is that the 91/93 heads do compare relatively well to their more expensive counterparts. The AKG 568 shotgun has been around a long while so I would wonder why they made a 98 capsule for the SE300 at all. Maybe they are.