Schoeps CMC641 vs Sennheiser MKH8040/50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 18th, 2008, 08:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Schoeps CMC641 vs Sennheiser MKH8040/50

Hey again. I know we've got some scattered threads all over regarding these mics, hopefully this can act as the definitive thread.

I was hoping Ty's review would've been published by now, but it seems not. I'm starting to reconsider on the MKH8050 since most people seem to think the 8040 is closer to the Schoeps CMC641. I'm also considering buying Schoeps again since I found a dealer that has it for the old purchase price and not the new MSRP. That makes it closer in cost to the MKH-8040/50.

Has anyone compared the 8040 to the 8050 for dialog/interviews and come to any conclusions about which would work better? I mostly just shoot indoors for drama-type films.

Also, people keep bringing up the handling noise and needing a good shockmount for the Sennheiser 8000 series mics, but how is the Schoeps for this? Is it possible to bring it outside and hand-hold it for interview-style shooting? I realize neither of these mics are meant for this purpose, but would the Schoeps work better than the MKH8040/50 ....assuming I had no other choice? Or should I avoid both of these mics for this sort of occasion.

Last edited by Craig Irving; March 18th, 2008 at 09:02 AM.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post
Hey again. I know we've got some scattered threads all over regarding these mics, hopefully this can act as the definitive thread.

I was hoping Ty's review would've been published by now, but it seems not. I'm starting to reconsider on the MKH8050 since most people seem to think the 8040 is closer to the Schoeps CMC641. I'm also considering buying Schoeps again since I found a dealer that has it for the old purchase price and not the new MSRP. That makes it closer in cost to the MKH-8040/50.

Has anyone compared the 8040 to the 8050 for dialog/interviews and come to any conclusions about which would work better? I mostly just shoot indoors for drama-type films.

Also, people keep bringing up the handling noise and needing a good shockmount for the Sennheiser 8000 series mics, but how is the Schoeps for this? Is it possible to bring it outside and hand-hold it for interview-style shooting? I realize neither of these mics are meant for this purpose, but would the Schoeps work better than the MKH8040/50 ....assuming I had no other choice? Or should I avoid both of these mics for this sort of occasion.
The Schoeps is also very sensitive to handling. They are both so small that just the mechanics of handholding them securely without generating a lot of noise would present a problem. Not to say you shouldn't buy one, far from it. But I wouldn't buy it for handheld interview use. If you can afford the 2 kilobucks for the Schoeps you can manage to scrape together another 200 for a mic like the EV RE50 that is purpose built for handheld reporting and interviewing and have both in your kit. Use the right tool for the job.
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree. That's a good point.

I would have only used it that way on very rare occasions. But you're right, I'd be better off picking up a different mic that would handle the task properly.
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:20 PM   #4
Major Player

http://www.proaudioreview.com/pages/s.0033/t.12361.html

Review of the MKH-8040.
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:26 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post
Nice review but his tests were not especially applicable to location sound work. I am going to have to check out Ty's review to see what he has to say about it. An A/B shootout between this mic and the CMC-641 would be quite interesting.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:38 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
The Schoeps is also very sensitive to handling. They are both so small that just the mechanics of handholding them securely without generating a lot of noise would present a problem. Not to say you shouldn't buy one, far from it. But I wouldn't buy it for handheld interview use. If you can afford the 2 kilobucks for the Schoeps you can manage to scrape together another 200 for a mic like the EV RE50 that is purpose built for handheld reporting and interviewing and have both in your kit. Use the right tool for the job.
The cmc641 is a LOT less sensitive to handling than the 8050.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:18 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have not used the Sennheiser but as far as the Schoeps goes don't forget to factor in the price of a cut 1,
Sacha Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:42 AM   #8
Inner Circle

You trying to scare him?

The cut 1 is not really necessary if you have a mixer with a high pass filter.

I have a Sound Devices 442 and cmc641. I don't have a cut 1. The high pass filter on the 442 has always been adequate.

Environment depending, it may not be necessary.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Ty,

Thanks for the comment. I can understand the desirability of cutting out the low frequencies as close to the source as possible, before amplifying them, but I have great faith in my SD gear and at the price of a Cut 1 I'd have to have some real unhappiness with the result before forking over the $$$.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio