Politics: Podium speeches at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 19th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #1
Major Player

Politics: Podium speeches

Hi,

Anyone here ever filmed politicians giving speeches at political events?

If so, do you have any advice for audio equipment/cables/connectors needed and/or other tips?

Long story short, I may be filming an event this weekend, and I want to be sure I have all the bases covered when it comes to capturing the best audio possible. :)

Many thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Micky
Micky Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Last year I did a 2 day event in downtown Chicago and it was one of the easiest sound pulls I ever did. Since they had a PA system with a mixer and ran that to a press box it was simply plug and play.
Most big events would have a similar setup I would think so it shouldn't be a problem.
If on the other hand they don't for some reason, then I would say there are 2 choices. 1) mic the person speaking with a lav back to the camera or
2) if they are going to be stationary at a podium then mic the podium back to the camera.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Don!

A billion thanks for you quick reply, I totally appreciate your pro help. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Last year I did a 2 day event in downtown Chicago and it was one of the easiest sound pulls I ever did. Since they had a PA system with a mixer and ran that to a press box it was simply plug and play.
Ah, sounds great! I think this event will also have a PA system to plug into. :)

When you plugged-in to the PA, what cables/connectors were required?

Do you have a recommended set of cables and/or equipment that would get me through a podium speech situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
...<snip>... If on the other hand they don't for some reason, then I would say there are 2 choices. 1) mic the person speaking with a lav back to the camera or
2) if they are going to be stationary at a podium then mic the podium back to the camera.
Great tips! Thank you!!!

Have a great day Don, and many thanks again for the help!

Cheers,
M

Last edited by Micky Hulse; March 19th, 2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Major Player

I am thinking an Audio Adapter would be a good tool to have...

What would you recommend? I can afford anything in the $100 - $350 price range.

(My HDV cam -- Sony HDR-FX7 -- does not have an XLR input.)

Last edited by Micky Hulse; March 19th, 2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The press box has XLRs but if there's no press box and you're going from a mixer it could be XLR or 1/4 or RCA-could even be a minipin.
As for length of cables I carry a cable bag that has XLRs from 20 to 100 feet and on that job I wound up using a 20. I also carry a small kit of various adaptors and turn arounds. XLR to whatever to whatever. Sometimes you just don't know whats going to be in place for you or what the sound poeple supply so you gotta be ready for anything. Generally if I can't go to an XLR connection it ends up being an RCA. I also have a attenuator (xlr connection) and a small direct box-just in case.
I carry this stuff pretty much where-ever I go just a part of the camera kit. Camera bag, tripod, multirig, monopod, toolbox, cable bag and parts kit in that bag.
My first sergeant in basic training (back in the civil war days) gave me a great piece of advice for life. He said "better to have it and not need it, than not have it and die for it". Now obviously I wouldn't die if I didn[t have my audio bag BUT it sure would make things a lot tougher.
HTHs
Don
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Im having to deal with this most of the time. I was going to buy a wireless hand held but im worried about interference from so many cell phones, digital equipment, musicians etc.

To get over all this headache, i bought an olympus portable recorder thats easily hidden which accepts an external microphone that i rig. I later sync up the audio using my camera audio as a guide. Double system if i may, and saves from a bunch of wires, plus you dont necessarily have house outputs you can use ALL the time.
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Oh wow, great info!!! Thanks to both of you for the advice! Much appreciated. ;)

So, let me know if this sounds like a good basic, cover all bases, setup:
  1. Astatic 3-Pin XLR Male to 3-Pin XLR Female Microphone Cable - 25'
  2. Rolls MX56S Battery Powered Line/Instrument Mixer with 1/4", XLR and RCA Inputs and RCA and 1/4" Outputs with Individual Level Controls
  3. MDR-7506 Circumaural Closed-Back Professional Monitor Headphone
  4. Ameriquad Balanced 1/4" Male to XLR Male Patch Cable - 10'
  5. CableLinks Adapter - 1/4" TRS Stereo Male Phone to 1/8" TS Mini Phone Female
  6. Stereo 1/4" Female Phone to 1/4" Male Phone TRS Headphone Extension Cable - 25' (Coiled)
  7. iStudioLink XLR to 1/8" Mini Plug
  8. CableLinks Adapter - RCA Male to 1/8" TS Mini Phone Female
  9. 3-RCA Male to 3-RCA Male A/V Cable (RoHS) - 30'
  10. Stereo Mini Male to Stereo Angled Mini Male Cable - 3'
  11. ADB2 Active Direct Box with 9-48 V Phantom Power Support, Attenuator and Ground Lift Switches
  12. WS-311M 512MB Digital Voice Recorder

So, what do you think of the above list of items? I know it is kinda hodge-podge, but I really would like to have a decent bag of audio equipment and connectors for possible line-feed situations.

Don, that was a great quote from your sergeant! Thanks for sharing. :)

Roshdi, what Olympus model did you buy?

Thanks all!!!! :)

I greatly appreciate all the help.

Cheers,
Micky
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #8
Inner Circle

looks like a good start especially the headphones. Always monitor-don't leave home without 'em.

Don
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I'd recommend a passive direct box instead of one that requires phantom power. Probably more versatile for your use.

Perhaps this if you're on a budget:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...irect_Box.html

For a little more money, Whirlwind:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...irect_Box.html
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Usually there will be a mult box where you can take the feed. I've done many speeches and press conferences and if it is a planned event, they will usually have a mult box (the connectors are usually xlr and I think I've seen 1/4" as well). Be aware of whether you are getting a mic level or line level. As said earlier, it is always good to monitor the audio. You never know what's going to happen. Most of all, have fun with it.
Joe Sonnenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #11
Major Player

Ooooh, thanks all!

More great info! :)

Seth, I will definitely add the Whirlwind to my list... Thank you for the tip on that!

Also, I just found this:

Remote Audio Adapt-A-Pak LT - Audio Adapter Kit Including: 27 Audio Adapters and Carry Case

... The above kit seems like a good pick. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sonnenburg View Post
...<snip>... it is always good to monitor the audio. You never know what's going to happen. Most of all, have fun with it.
Sounds like great advice! Many thanks Joe!

Anyway, many thanks all, I greatly appreciate the help and professional guidance.

Have a great day!
Cheers,
Micky
Old March 20th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #12
Major Player

One other question here...

What do you all think of this device:

Zoom H2 - Ultra-Portable Digital Audio Recorder
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM   #13
Major Player

Hey all!

Just as an update: All went well. The audio was balanced, and it was as easy as an XLR connection straight into my camera.

Few problems, non-audio related:
  1. The speaker was not at a podium, and he walked back and forth across the stage throughout the speech... that kinda sucked.
  2. The camera folks were put on a bouncy stage thingy... so while filming, there were people walking around which caused camera/tripod shake.

Anyway, I greatly appreciate all of your help!!! I owe you all a beer! :)

Cheers,
M
Micky Hulse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio