What am I doing wrong with Videomic? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 21st, 2008, 04:20 PM   #16
Major Player

I'll do some test shooting with it after I've started messing around with the switches - tomorrow, my girlfriend is going to put together a comedy video where she'll play a nun who believes that math is the root of all evil.
Old March 21st, 2008, 04:55 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
I'll do some test shooting with it after I've started messing around with the switches - tomorrow, my girlfriend is going to put together a comedy video where she'll play a nun who believes that math is the root of all evil.
Gee, I love religious documentaries! <grin>
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:33 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Gee, I love religious documentaries! <grin>
Actually, I had some unexpected free time so I tested it out myself. I tried to talk in a "soft new zealand voice" and turned on an overhead fan and a few computers to bring up the background noise.

The problem was the attenuation. Flipping the switches brought it back to -0db, I have no idea what it was set on before, but I THOUGHT that was -0db.

As I said - glad I got backup audio.

:)
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM   #19
DVCreators.Net

Just as a point of reference, here is a bit 'o footage from a Canon HV20 with a similar on-camera mic, the Sennheiser MKE400. It's not as brutal as the google video, but notice how close the mic is? Like Steve mentioned, get the mic closer. Hotter signal ='s lower noise floor. Sure the noise is acceptable for a $699 camera, but I bet it'd sound a lot better off camera and on a boom pole away from those noisy tape transports. http://vimeo.com/463187
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:25 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
Just as a point of reference, here is a bit 'o footage from a Canon HV20 with a similar on-camera mic, the Sennheiser MKE400. It's not as brutal as the google video, but notice how close the mic is? Like Steve mentioned, get the mic closer. Hotter signal ='s lower noise floor. Sure the noise is acceptable for a $699 camera, but I bet it'd sound a lot better off camera and on a boom pole away from those noisy tape transports. http://vimeo.com/463187
I don't always have that luxury (also, the last thing I want is 20 ft of unbalanced cable!) but I did get a bracket that brings the microphone about 8 inches away from the tape transport (as opposed to three)

I prefer the on-camera mics because A) I shoot documentaries, and the last thing you want is a boom in the shot of a documentary, and B) Until I "go pro" I'm stuck with shooting with one-person crews.

I have a shoot on Tuesday. I'm not doing this with the knowledge or permission of the campaign, but I live in Texas, and I'm an Obama precinct delegate. The county convention's coming up March 29th and the rules can get a little crazy - the end result is that if people don't know what the hell they're doing, Clinton could steal away some delegates, and vice versa. I want to get the instructions down on YouTube and send that out to everyone on the Texas Delegate List for Obama.

Also, it makes good raw footage for my documentary on electoral reform.

Hillary's supporters can view the video too, if they want. Same information should be relevant.

Last edited by Brian Boyko; March 21st, 2008 at 11:51 PM.
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio