Rode Videomic handling noise problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Rode Videomic handling noise problem

Hi. I've finally gotten my Rode Videomic to work right, but the problem is that the mic picks up handling noise when I tilt left or right on the figrig. I like the audio quality better than my ATR55 in my AZDEN shock mount, but the problem is that since the microphone is not in the -middle- of the shock mount (like the combination ATR55 and AZDEN) but rather, sticks out a bit, what happens is that the rubber bands of the Rode's shock mount are stretched out pretty far, and then snap back - and that creates a "creaking" noise.

I'll be using the ATR55 tonight, but anyone got any clue what I could do to reduce that?
Old March 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #2
New Boot

Persevere

I wouldn't attempt to advise you on reducing handling noise from the Rode - I have never had any problem with mine in that respect.

I would advocate perseverance though and try to solve your Rode problem; my ATR55 ranks well up there amongst my biggest wastes of money. But I bought it early on in my time in this game. I think I gave up after two attempts to get anything worthwhile out of it.
Alan Dunlop-Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Brian, late in 06, RODE inadvertently copped a delivery of faulty O rings for the Videomic; they slowly weaken over time and eventually cause the VM to fall over to one side in its mount, depending on which angle/way you aim it.

Because of demand RODE ship everything they make straight out to their dealers and some of those O rings got right through the system before they realised the problem. Sounds like you may have a set.

Call your RODE dealer, there are replacement sets available in a new design figure 8 shape. This helps them stay on better too as some folk reportedly jam the VM in their bag after use without a care.

I think they're still free!! Look for your sales slip to quote the details.

You should also register your VM with RODE on line to establish your 10year warranty.

To get by tonight either take the VM to a local hardware supplier and get some plumbers O rings or use the ones you have and try coating them in talcum powder to help stop the 'creaking' sound.

Rub it well in and make sure you don't leave any talc around to get in the VM. HTH.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Brian, late in 06, RODE inadvertently copped a delivery of faulty O rings for the Videomic; they slowly weaken over time and eventually cause the VM to fall over to one side in its mount, depending on which angle/way you aim it.

Because of demand RODE ship everything they make straight out to their dealers and some of those O rings got right through the system before they realised the problem. Sounds like you may have a set.

Call your RODE dealer, there are replacement sets available in a new design figure 8 shape. This helps them stay on better too as some folk reportedly jam the VM in their bag after use without a care.

I think they're still free!! Look for your sales slip to quote the details.

You should also register your VM with RODE on line to establish your 10year warranty.

To get by tonight either take the VM to a local hardware supplier and get some plumbers O rings or use the ones you have and try coating them in talcum powder to help stop the 'creaking' sound.

Rub it well in and make sure you don't leave any talc around to get in the VM. HTH.

Cheers.
Allan: Good to know! I'll do that. I did find a work-around. I extended the cord under the mic, then stretched it around over the mic itself to the port on the HV20 for mic in. This keeps tension on the Videomic's rings taut, I get alot less handling noise this way.

But yeah, I'll see if I can't get an oring replacement.
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks great info about the O-Ring replacement--I wound up wrapping a rubber band around the mic and mount to create a little more tension and it worked, much like your cable solution.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio