DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Microphone outdoor shoots and indoor... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/118500-microphone-outdoor-shoots-indoor.html)

Scott Delish April 3rd, 2008 01:19 PM

Microphone outdoor shoots and indoor...

Well I only have under $350 MAX to spend on a microphone and I want to make sure I get a pretty decent one for various things... I was watching this video...

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETX_nBG9zvU"

And I loved the sound of the mic, but I don't see it working very well for outside situations... Also I was curious... I want to get the NTG 2, but I have a huge question... I don't really want to get lapel microphones at this moment so I was wondering some how if I could record audio from the NTG-2 to some sort of digital recorder not attached to the camera... Cause the situations this is called for it could not possibly be attached to the camera via XLR cables, just won't work... Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

Cliff notes:

I want the NTG-2
I need to know if I can record audio from the NTG-2 to some sort of digital recorder
The mic can't be connected to the camera.
No lapel suggestions needed.
Thanks so much for the help.

Renton Maclachlan April 3rd, 2008 01:47 PM

I have just bought the Rode ntg-2 and intend to use it on occasion recording to an Iriver 890. I already have a Rode Video mic and have used it that way a number of times. The ntg-2 has an XLR plug so I am going to have to make/get a connector that goes to a regular mini plug. My cameras only have mini plug connections so I'll need it if I connect direct to them.

I have got the ntg-2 because for outside work with any wind, you need a blimp. My VM won't go in a blimp whereas the ntg-2 will.

You didn't need suggestions re lapel mics but GiantSquids are great... and cheap. I have six. $us25 each.

Bill Pryor April 3rd, 2008 02:06 PM

You should be able to record from the mic to about any digital recorder. The cheaper ones have mini inputs, so you'd have to get an adapter cable from XLR to mini--not a problem. I use an M-Audio CF recorder that has 1/4" inputs.

Scott Delish April 5th, 2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 853744)
You should be able to record from the mic to about any digital recorder. The cheaper ones have mini inputs, so you'd have to get an adapter cable from XLR to mini--not a problem. I use an M-Audio CF recorder that has 1/4" inputs.

Could you tell me exactly what adapters, digital recorders that would record from the NTG-2 please? I'm not sure where to even look for these types of things...

Steve House April 5th, 2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Delish (Post 854871)
Could you tell me exactly what adapters, digital recorders that would record from the NTG-2 please? I'm not sure where to even look for these types of things...

First of all, pin down the recorder you want to use. "Digital Recorder" is a broad spectrum. A $75 iRiver from eBay and a $17000 Cantar are both "digital recorders." While using the NTG-2 with the iRiver is iffy, those that you could use it with start at the ~$200 units on the market these days and range up from there. So just what do you need from the recorder and how much in terms of professional capabilities are you willing/able to pay for?

The adapter cable you need depends on the input you're going to be going to. Your adapter cable should connect XLR pin 2 to the miniplug's tip while XLR pins 1 and 3 both go together to the plug's sleeve. The miniplug's ring (if it's TRS) should be connected to the tip if you're plugging into a stereo mic jack; if you're plugging into a mono jack it can either be connected to the tiop or left unconnected.

Scott Delish April 5th, 2008 01:35 PM

Does anyone have AIM maybe I could discuss this alot easier if someone has 10 minutes.

Also what are the exact items items I need for the NTG-2 to record onto the digital recorder? www.bhphotovideo.com maybe someone could find the possible cords, plugins etc.. etc.. I may need for the NTG-2... I'd appreciate it a lot. As for the recorder my friend recommended a good website for them. :)

Steve House April 5th, 2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Delish (Post 854884)
Does anyone have AIM maybe I could discuss this alot easier if someone has 10 minutes.

Also what are the exact items items I need for the NTG-2 to record onto the digital recorder? www.bhphotovideo.com maybe someone could find the possible cords, plugins etc.. etc.. I may need for the NTG-2... I'd appreciate it a lot. As for the recorder my friend recommended a good website for them. :)

First pick the recorder - what you need to connect the NTG-2 to it will depend on what its inputs are (XLR? 1/4"? 1/8" stereo? 1/8" mono?).

Scott Delish April 5th, 2008 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 854886)
First pick the recorder - what you need to connect the NTG-2 to it will depend on what its inputs are (XLR? 1/4"? 1/8" stereo? 1/8" mono?).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...#goto_itemInfo
(Does this even record audio? I don't know jack squat about these recorders.)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...table_MP3.html

Maybe someone could link me to some recorders under $130

Steve House April 5th, 2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Delish (Post 854890)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...#goto_itemInfo
(Does this even record audio? I don't know jack squat about these recorders.)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...table_MP3.html

Maybe someone could link me to some recorders under $130

The Sandisk doesn't have an audio input at all so that's out. The iAudio has a line-level input only and the Rode mic won't drive it.

Start thinking in the direction of something like this

http://trewaudio.com/products/zoom_h2.php

That's about the rock bottom minimum you'll be able to do anything useful with.

Scott Delish April 5th, 2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 854893)
The Sandisk doesn't have an audio input at all so that's out. The iAudio has a line-level input only and the Rode mic won't drive it.

Start thinking in the direction of something like this

http://trewaudio.com/products/zoom_h2.php

That's about the rock bottom minimum you'll be able to do anything useful with.

Would a set of wireless lapels be a better option for weddings, graduations, recitals and interviews? Or would a single single NTG-2 be better for all these... I know all microphones are used for different things, but which would be more versitile?

Steve House April 5th, 2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Delish (Post 854897)
Would a set of wireless lapels be a better option for weddings, graduations, recitals and interviews? Or would a single single NTG-2 be better for all these... I know all microphones are used for different things, but which would be more versitile?

The requirements of the various situations you've listed are so varied that's there's not really an answer possible to your question. Neither option you mention will cover them all. I would say that given what seems to be your budget there's no wireless setup that would be worth considering.

Scott Delish April 5th, 2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 854901)
The requirements of the various situations you've listed are so varied that's there's not really an answer possible to your question. Neither option you mention will cover them all. I would say that given what seems to be your budget there's no wireless setup that would be worth considering.

Would an omni directional lavaliere taped to a podium work as if it was strapped to the person?

Steve House April 5th, 2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Delish (Post 854906)
Would an omni directional lavaliere taped to a podium work as if it was strapped to the person?

Taped to a podium mic, probably. Taped to the podium itself, it depends on how far the speaker moves away as he speaks. If there's a podium mic on a gooseneck that he's working into, he'll be motivated to stay at the podium and direct his speech into it. Yours is 'piggy-backed' on it and gets the benefit of his attention. If not, just your lav taped to the edge of the podium itself, he might well forget it's there and walk away. Lavs are intended to be around 6 to 8 inches from the speaker's mouth and how well such an arrangment will work depends on how close you can get and keep in in those distances.

Scott Delish April 5th, 2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 854910)
Taped to a podium mic, probably. Taped to the podium itself, it depends on how far the speaker moves away as he speaks. If there's a mic he's working into, he'll be motivated to stay at the podium and direct his speech into it. Yours is 'piggy-backed' on it and gets the benefit of his attention. If not, just your lav taped to the forward edge of the podium itself, he might well forget it's there and walk away.

Well of course there's a microphone there he/she/other students are talking into (graduation scenario) but I was thinking, couldn't the NTG-2 just be strapped to any place as well. (If I up my budget a bit it's my birthday present) I would see a single NTG 2 if I'm being resourceful enough would work well in many situations and overall be cheaper than a $650 pair of lavaliere's...

Interviews:

Mic stand, digital recorder attached to the NTG 2 above someone

Commercial speakers:

Boom pole with the NTG 2

Nature:

Better than a lavaliere (definitely)

Graduation:

Mic stand with the NTG-2 instead of having to strapped a lavaliere on 5 different main speakers...

Sports events:

On board XL2 mic for outside noises and the NTG-2 put right in front of the announcer and just mix and match in post.

Weddings:

Lavaliere would work far better considering there are 3 people and I'm not gonna be standing there with a boom pole much less a microphone stand...

Lavaliere's in a set of 2 definitely have their advantage, but the NTG-2/3 May work just as well if you can have the right placement etc...

Steve House April 5th, 2008 03:08 PM

The directiovity of the NTG is such that you're going to have to have somone following the action as the speakers move around. Locking down on a stand leaves too much to chance. Also you still have to consider distance - shotgun mics are NOT like telephoto lenses - they DO NOT 'capture' or magnify distant sounds, they simply are less sensitive to distracting sounds to the sides and rear than they are to sounds coming from the front.