What mic for PD-150? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 10th, 2003, 08:46 AM   #1
New Boot

What mic for PD-150?

Hello all,

We are purchasing a PD-150 for talking head stuff. We do not want a mic on camera. Will a shotgun mic work with this setup? Which one works well with the PD-150. We would like a warmer sound if possible. Thanks in advance.

Thomas
Thomas Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 09:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The Sennheisers (ME66, ME416) and many other name brands (AT,AKG...) will work quite well. I suggest you search thru this part of the forum as this topic has been discussed numerous times and the answers you are looking for are probably already here in the forum.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #3
Major Player

For on camera use I would consider the Audio Technica AT-4073a. It is a warmer mic then the Sennheiser ME66 and is also shorter. It's sound quality is more like the Sennheiser MKH-416 at a way lower price.

It is a little more expensive then the ME66 but is well worth the price. You should be able to find it for around $500 - $600.

It does require Phantom Power.

I would search Zotz Digital or B&H

FYI: An ME66, by the time you have the complete package (windscreen, shock mount) it is not going to be a lot less then $475 - $500.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 07:36 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks. I am new to this so let me get the stupid question out of the way. What is Phantom Power?
Thomas Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 09:54 AM   #5
Major Player

Phantom Power is DC voltage, usually 48V that is supplied to a condenser microphone, using the signal cores of a balanced microphone cable. Condenser microphone need a source of power to function.

The Sony DSR PD-150 does have the Phantom Power Feature, so do most consoles and preamplifiers.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio