Boompole Holder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 7th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Boompole Holder

Any recommendations on one of these boompole holders? I think all would work fine but the K-Tek says its for use with a C-Stand so I wonder if it would work fine with just a regular stand. I'm trying to get something for use with an Avenger stand. Something to just hold the boom pole over a lengthy interview, but I want it to go high enough to come over and down on the person without tipping over.

BoomMate Boompole Holder
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=469811&is=REG

K-Tek K-BC Boom Pole Cradle Support
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=292924&is=REG

General Brand Boompole Holder
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._and_Grip.html
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Darden View Post
Any recommendations on one of these boompole holders? I think all would work fine but the K-Tek says its for use with a C-Stand so I wonder if it would work fine with just a regular stand. I'm trying to get something for use with an Avenger stand. Something to just hold the boom pole over a lengthy interview, but I want it to go high enough to come over and down on the person without tipping over.

BoomMate Boompole Holder
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=469811&is=REG

K-Tek K-BC Boom Pole Cradle Support
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=292924&is=REG

General Brand Boompole Holder
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._and_Grip.html
Oliver

I am going to save you some serious bucks here. Go to your local WalMart or fishing store. By a steel rubber coated fishing pole holder for ten bucks. Same thing as any of these and heck of lot cheaper. Actually, the one I bought for $9.00 is identical to the General one. The same damn thing.

I love buying gear that is designed for other purposes and adapting it to production, I have a lot of these types of products like my Contico plastic toolboxes that I bought at Home Depot ten years ago. They have flown all over the world with my lights and accessories in them and have worked great. I think I paid maybe $20.00 ea. for them back in the day.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I hate spending money unless I have to.

I bought the ATS Ram and love it though. I put it in a C-Stand and the audio guy only has to monitor the audio instead of concentrating on holding the boom. It is highly adjustable so I rarely have to do much other than raise or lower the C-Stand.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Boompole.html

Dan, how do you mount the fishing pole holder? The ones I saw wouldn't fit on a stand I know of.
Doug Okamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Okamoto View Post
I bought the ATS Ram and love it though.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Boompole.html
So this will work on any lightstand then? What keeps the lightstand from tipping forward when you have the boompole extended out really far?

Also, is it a quality product, I have never of of this brand.
Old April 7th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #5
New Boot

Best thing I ever bought was at a flea market in Pennsylvania - the guy was selling it as a fishing pole holder.... All I could see was a boom pole holder for a C-Stand! It was all metal and looked a lot like the $100 model on B&H. It cost me $5 plus some foam I added to the metal to protect the carbon fiber.

Some times you just have to think outside of the box...

-Joe
Joe Voorhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
So this will work on any lightstand then? What keeps the lightstand from tipping forward when you have the boompole extended out really far?

It works on the lightstand we are using, I can't recall the brand right now but it is a typical tripod stand.

The boompole that I have is a carbon fiber so isn't very heavy in the first place so I haven't had a problem with tipping over but if you really need to, counterweight the stand with sandbags on the legs or tape it down to the floor with gaff tape.

B&H was showing the ATS Ram in their booth at NAB last year, it looked very rugged and after looking it over for a while I ordered one. It's not pretty by any means, but it does the job very well. It has a double ball joint so is very adjustable. It's also less expensive than the K-Tek and BoomMate but I just noticed that B&H doesn't have it in stock.
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Oliver Darden;855922]Any recommendations on one of these boompole holders? I think all would work fine but the K-Tek says its for use with a C-Stand so I wonder if it would work fine with just a regular stand. I'm trying to get something for use with an Avenger stand. Something to just hold the boom pole over a lengthy interview, but I want it to go high enough to come over and down on the person without tipping over.

/Volumes/tyreeford/Public/Video/Ty's Boom.mov

Try this. If it shows. I never have been able to upload a video clip successfully.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:

Hi:

My sound mixers usually use one of my C-stands with a grip head. The small stake at the bottom goes into the same hole that would hold a flag in the grip head. You could affix a grip head to a light stand I suppose but since I have a dozen C-stands and only about eight light stands, I like to use a C-stand.

You would counterbalance with a sandbag on one of the opposing legs.

I am serious, I think anything over $10.00 for a boom pole holder is a waste of money. The one that I bought at WalMart is IDENTICAL to the cheaper $58.00 one on the B&H website link above. It is rubber coated to protect the boom pole.

Or another alternative is to just bend some re-bar, if you have it laying around, then out some shrink tube rubber over the end bends to rest the boom pole on, we did two of them before we had this fishing pole holder. Or you can use a Mafer on a C-stand arm since I have tons of Mafers laying around as well. There are a lot of cheap ways to skin this cat.

Good luck,

Dan
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #9
Major Player

thanks for the replys everyone.

I cannot use my C-stand because it it too large and too heavy for me to use on my interviews that are out of town. I am flying to Florida soon and I have to use a regular lightstand, and I don't want the boom guy to have to hold the mic over the head of the interviewee for hours.
Old April 7th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #10
Major Player

Try the ATS RAM mount. http://atscomms.com/Sales/Products/G...RAM/index.html

This fits on a normal light stand.

Wayne
Old April 7th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #11
Major Player

Thats what I will probably end up getting Wayne. And I will check the fishing pole thing out Dan. Thanks guys.

A lot of stuff is out of stock on B&H right now...=(
Old April 7th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thats what I will probably end up getting Wayne. And I will check the fishing pole thing out Dan. Thanks guys.

A lot of stuff is out of stock on B&H right now...=(
If you don't have a C-stand available, then the stuff Wayne recommends is nice, I looked at it at FilmTools the other day. You could buy a grip head with a 5/8" mount for a light stand for about $30.00 but it wouldn't the cool ball head to swivel like the Ram does.

Good luck!

D
Old April 8th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Brissette View Post
Try the ATS RAM mount. http://atscomms.com/Sales/Products/G...RAM/index.html

This fits on a normal light stand.

Wayne
Do I need a Grip Head, 5/8" Stud, or anything to make it to be able to mount of the stand?
Old April 8th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Do I need a Grip Head, 5/8" Stud, or anything to make it to be able to mount of the stand?
No, the ATS Ram has a socket mount that fits right on the 5/8" spigot of the stand itself (if I'm not mistaken most if not all light stands have 5/8" spigots). There is a tension screw on the ATS Ram that can be tightened to secure the ATS Ram.
Old April 8th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Okamoto View Post
No, the ATS Ram has a socket mount that fits right on the 5/8" spigot of the stand itself (if I'm not mistaken most if not all light stands have 5/8" spigots). There is a tension screw on the ATS Ram that can be tightened to secure the ATS Ram.
Hi Doug:

Most small kit stands and smaller separate stands like a Matthews Beefy Baby have a 5/8" spud.

The larger stands like Hi Rollers and Steel three risers do NOT have a 5/8" spud, they may have a larger receptacle for larger lights that usually have the corresponding larger spud on their yoke. A lot of it too is basic gripology. If you are LA, a trip to MoleTown or FilmTools is mandatory for all grip newbies so you can learn about all of these different tools, how they work and fit together. Or better yet, go and work as a grip on a few indie project shoots, you'll learn all of this stuff really quickly when the key is yelling at you to get your rear in gear and bring him a Cardellini ;-) http://www.cardelliniclamp.com/products.htm

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio