Timecode Slate recommendation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 7th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Timecode Slate recommendation

Hi all.
Now that I have a recorder that generates TC (SD 702TC) I'm thinking about buying a timecode slate. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation. The Denenke TS1/2 looks compact, but am I right in thinking that it has to stay connected to the recorder. How many of you use a dumb slate? Would I be better off with a slate you can jam and leave untethered? Any pointers to timecode slate resources would be appreciated.
Also if anyone has a slate FS PM me.
Cheers
Jon
Jon Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Trustee

I've been told that SD uses Ambient TC generators so looking at the Ambient TC slates makes a lot sense. They are a little more expensive than the Deneke, but logic seems sound to me (no pun intended) ;).

Last edited by Peter Moretti; April 8th, 2008 at 01:38 AM.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Jon and Peter,

I used Peter's logic and got the Ambient Timecode Slate a couple of years ago. It works very well with the Ambient Timecode circuitry in the Sound Devices 7 series recorders.

I feel that a Deneke would work well also, but the Ambient units are first class (in my opinion). Check out all of the features of the Ambient units.

A good timecode slate, like the Ambients can be very handy in syncing up multiple cameras (provided they have timecode). It only takes a few seconds to sync up each camera.
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Major Player

Once you jam the a slate, you do not have to keep it connected for it to keep timecode. However, in general practice you re-jam the slate every four hours.

As far as which slate to buy, Deneke and Ambient both are top notch companies and so are their slates. It really doesn't matter much which one you go with, they all are guaranteed to be frame accurate.

If you are going to jam cameras, you probably don't want to use the slate, in fact, some slates don't allow you to grab the output TC. To jam other devices, it's usually best to use something like the Deneke SB-T. You jam it from the master TC (702T, or whatever you want the master to be), then you jam other devices from it.

Wayne
Old April 7th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Actually Wayne in the case of the TS-1/2 it does have to be connected to a TC source in order to show timecode - it has no internal generator, it is just a display.

However, Jon, don't let this deter you from buying it - while it is not as convenient as the TS-3 (or older -2) you can still put a cheaper wireless unit (Comtek) on the slate and transmit from your source (702T, SB-T, etc.) For all intents and purposes this method is identical except for having more gear clumped together with Velcro. (But we love doing that, right?)

In fact it could be technically more accurate, since you're eliminating another clock as a source of error.
Abe Dolinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #6
Trustee

Abe thanks for the input (again no pun intended). BTW the Ambient slate can be used in pure reader mode. But the 1/2 is quite a few $100's cheaper.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Dolinger View Post
Actually Wayne in the case of the TS-1/2 it does have to be connected to a TC source in order to show timecode - it has no internal generator, it is just a display.
Well there you go. ;)

I've never used the TS-1/2. Only the TS-3. I have the Zeitx slate which isn't made anymore. In fact only a few were ever made from what I can tell. The guy who designed it was suppose to have another slate out in January, but so far that hasn't appeared on the scene.

Wayne

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio