Retro Sound? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 12th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #1
New Boot

Retro Sound?

I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to make sound, ie voices and sfx, to appear aged. Imagine the old 1950's - 1960's educational videos where the voices seemed to punch out more. Is there a program or perhaps some effect in post? I am working on a mac platform when it comes to editing and sound. Thank you for your time.
Bryan Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

This can be achieved with some careful EQ and maybe a little tape hiss (cheesy but it works sometimes). If you're not experienced with EQ it can be tricky. You could try loading up an example of the sound you're talking about in an editing program and studying the frequencies that are emphasized. Then use a good graphic EQ to make your recordings match. If you're using a sound program that can use VSTs I recommend Voxengo SPAN for frequency reading (spectrogram) - free and very good.
Abe Dolinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #3
New Boot

Hello

Thanks I appreciate the response.
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ortiz View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to make sound, ie voices and sfx, to appear aged. Imagine the old 1950's - 1960's educational videos where the voices seemed to punch out more. Is there a program or perhaps some effect in post? I am working on a mac platform when it comes to editing and sound. Thank you for your time.
Here I'm only guessing...

Ageing the voice could be obtained by pitch shift effects, but not sure this is looked for. Like I record my voice now and then make it sound as if I were 80yr old. Is it this?

Simulating early years audio (1950, 1960) can be achieved by encoding the end result at very low sampling rate. Output through a 8khz sampling (instead of the typical 44KHz cd-quality) would make it sound as that years' sound because these were the analog equivalent encoders at that time that public would hear on radio/tv/film.

Just some thoughts...
Alexandru Petrescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks

Great idea. I will definitely experiment with that method thanks for the help. I appreciate your time.
Old April 28th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Has the audio been recorded yet? If not, writing and speaking style will go a long ways to achieve the sound you are looking for.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

eq and added noise. Think less frequency range. Less highs, less lows et. When I think of old film sound I remember those early 40's films/music recordings where the dialogue/vocals/music have a rather nasty midrange boost (like 2-3K)
Luke Tingle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio