Sound Devices Premix. at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 12th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #1
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sydney.
Posts: 2,569
Sound Devices Premix.

Just about to spring for an SD Pre-mix at BnH. Selected for its sound, and features of course. Sounds way better than the Beachteks to me, don't like them at all.

Premix has been out for some time, any chance SD will announce an upgrade or new mixer at NAB anyone think?
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pleasant Grove, CA
Posts: 86
mixpre

look at juicedlink.com at their mixer which for the money i found better than the mixpre which i had also owned if you really want a quality mixer from sound devices move up to the 302
Mark Viducich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #3
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sydney.
Posts: 2,569
Hi, spent yonks on this and yep checked out the Juicedlink range but they only have a minijack out and without a limiter. His demos sounded good tho.

I shoot aircraft shows with a huge dynamic rage. Sometimes it's an educated guess how big the piston engines are going to get, hence the limiters, going to a Canon A1.

Also need balanced outputs as our Super Connie has 144 spark plugs and 1960 wiring.
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 07:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
WOO HOO - envy your association with the Connie! I saw documentary a few years ago about the headaches encountered prepping a Connie and getting its clearance for the ferry flight from San Francisco down to Oz. Same plane? Was originally built for the TWA fleet as I recall. I used to work for Trans World, starting with them in '68, the year after the last Connie was retired from regular passenger service, though we still had a few in freight and charter operations. Their retirement was a recent enough event that we were still answering the reservations phone with the slogan "TWA, the All-Jet Airline" when I first started. Until the advent of the 707, the Connie set the bar as to what a long-haul passenger airliner was all about.

As for SD introducing new mixers at NAB, haven't heard any rumors. The other day they announced a new 8-channel recorder that looks very interesting. Even if new mixers are released, their present line should hold its value, these guys seem to be able to make gear that doesn't depreciate. If you can swing it in the budget, though, I'd echo Mark's advice to move up to the 302. More versatile, better metering, make it worth the slight extra cost.
__________________
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sydney.
Posts: 2,569
Hi, yes it's the same plane only 2 flying now, the others in Europe. Ours was a US Navy plane out of the Davis Monthan boneyard, it has the strengthened floor. Took our techs 3 years to rebuild her.

We fly her to airshows around the country, the second stage blowers are disabled so we tootle along at around 8-10,000 feet. Fitted with 40x767 first class seats she's like riding around the skies in a big 'ole Cadillac. Draws big crowds everywhere.

http://www.hars.com.au/index.html

I thought the Premix cause it's smaller and I could maybe gang 2 together later, but the 302 is like a Cadillac too. Is its metering that much better?
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Hi, yes it's the same plane only 2 flying now, the others in Europe. Ours was a US Navy plane out of the Davis Monthan boneyard, it has the strengthened floor. Took our techs 3 years to rebuild her.

We fly her to airshows around the country, the second stage blowers are disabled so we tootle along at around 8-10,000 feet. Fitted with 40x767 first class seats she's like riding around the skies in a big 'ole Cadillac. Draws big crowds everywhere.

http://www.hars.com.au/index.html

I thought the Premix cause it's smaller and I could maybe gang 2 together later, but the 302 is like a Cadillac too. Is its metering that much better?
Cheers.
The MixPre has 2x7 LED segment peak reading metering while the 302 has 2x20 LED segment meters with user-selectable ballistics. You have much more accurate monitoring with the larger meter with its finer graduations. The 302 also has a full-scale tone option to make it easier to align to your camera/recorder meters and set the levels so the mixer's limiters to kick in just under the camera's clip point.
__________________
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Motukarara, New Zealand
Posts: 475
Whats a full scale tone? My mix-pre will send a tone to the camera to setup to... is there something less than full scale about my tone?

thanks,
-a


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
The MixPre has 2x7 LED segment peak reading metering while the 302 has 2x20 LED segment meters with user-selectable ballistics. You have much more accurate monitoring with the larger meter with its finer graduations. The 302 also has a full-scale tone option to make it easier to align to your camera/recorder meters and set the levels so the mixer's limiters to kick in just under the camera's clip point.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dean View Post
Whats a full scale tone? My mix-pre will send a tone to the camera to setup to... is there something less than full scale about my tone?

thanks,
-a
The standard setting for tone is for it to be sent at a 0dBu level, usually corresponding to -20dBFS on the camera meter. The 302's 'full scalle' option lets you send tone at the level the mixer's limiters kick in, much louder than the normal tone. You'd adjust this with the camera's recording level control to sit just below full scale on the meter, giving you the maximum recording level without danger of running out of room and clipping. For details, here's the online manual - http://sounddevices.com/download/guides/302_en.pdf - take a look at page 21.
__________________
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:02 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network