Fireworks Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 14th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Fireworks Audio

I was just wondering if there were any audio engineers out there who could give me some input on how to record audio that is at extremely high levels?

Specifically fireworks which spike into the range of 160-180 decibels at the moment a shell breaks.

The equipment needed would also have to automatically adjust for lower sound levels once the initial spike dissipates. The setup would have to be able to pick up the rest of the range of noises like echoes, less intense secondary effects and ambient noises. The microphone would also need to hear a very wide range of sounds to pick up the shrill whistles and low booming thuds of the fireworks.

I would have to imagine that there’s some sort of mixer/recorder with a very quick AGC that can keep up with the rapid changes of a fireworks display without getting overloaded. And a microphone that could handle those spikes without peaking while simultaneously handling the range of noises that fireworks produce.

I've tried several setups but they all seem to be unable to properly capture the "bigness" of fireworks.

And now that I’m writing this down I’m noticing that there is probably no single magic microphone that can do all of this.

Any input would be appreciated.
George Tasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Not sure if its the right way but I have used two mics on my XH-A1, I set one up for the loud sounds and the other for the quiet sounds. In post I mixed them together for the complete sound.
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Good old SM58 should do it. For level issues you could run two tracks at different recording levels and have a load more headroom in one track for the quiet sections. A simple y cable will do it for plugging the mic into both channels. Dynamic mic's are a good safe bet for fireworks, Concorde etc..
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio