Rode NTG-2 w/Deadcat in wind - choppy sound - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 14th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #16
Major Player

I picked up one of those blimps for $175 delievered, which including an extra 6" section, and extra end caps, also including 2 deadcats... one for each for each length and mounts for various diameter mics. I can mount damn near anything in it.

Candidly it exceeds my expectations. I will be using it in the field this weekend and I will let you know how it goes, but on first blush.... an excellent value. It did not appear as flimsy as I was fearing.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:09 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Chris, I read this post on the blimpie you got off ebay and was waiting for your follow up post on how it worked for you. Did it perform up to your expectations. I was considering getting one and was hoping that you had had a chance to test it out and what you thought of it. Could you let me know what you found out and whether or not you felt it was a worthwhile purchase. Thanks.
Robert Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:23 AM   #18
Major Player

I was very pleased with it's performance. Mine came with an extra 6" section (so I can use it with my AT 815) and an extra end cap, plus 2 deadcats, one for each assembled length. The deadcats are so so, but the overall build was acceptable to me, and worked nicely in some decent wind. I used both the AT4073 and AT 815 in it without problems noise wise (the boom pole operator aside, but he's learning and improving with each experience <g>)
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:02 PM   #19
DVCreators.Net

The $99 K-TEK foamed lined slip over fuzzy's are a step up from the RODE Deadcat http://www.dvcreators.net/k-tek-windscreen/
Worth it for an NTG-2 if you're going to be getting over 15mph winds.

I wish the Sennheiser set-up wasn't so spendy. It's dang nice. That pistol grip is a work of art. That "Long haired wind muff" performs too. I took it out on a Ferry ride in this video http://dvcreators.net/products/sound_movieframe.htm

Also K-TEK came out with a Zeppelin that is similar to the Sennheiser, except it takes a lot more time to break down. Costs half as much though http://www.dvcreators.net/k-tek-zeppelin-windscreen/
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Guy...I've seen your DV gear talk reviews and was wondering if you've done or are planning to do a video review of the K-TEK blimpie and windscreen?
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:50 AM   #21
DVCreators.Net

Absolutely planning to.

And maybe the K-TEK will even be filled with the new RODE NTG-3.
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:20 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Sounds good...looking forward to it.
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:53 PM   #23
Major Player

Guy... I want to take this opportunity to say thank you for your little "video workshops" on various products. Those are incredibly useful and informative.

Example. I was going to go on a shoot where I was being provided Senn G2's to use. Your little tutorial was exactly what i needed to show up well prepared.

Anyway...when it comes time to buy... you are top of my list! Thanks again.

Chris
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I have a K Tek Zeppelin and it works beautifully. I had a Oktava in it last Sunday and I got wonderful, clear audio. If you want to record outdoor, you really need a zeppelin of some kind. Even a small amount of wind can ruin your audio and a simple foam and dead cat covering will not protect once the wind velocity gets much above 3mph.
Dennis Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Dennis...how strong were the winds when you used the K-tek?
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #26
Regular Crew

A Softie type product will work OK in winds up to about 5 mph or so and after that you really need a zeppelin type product. Outdoors, all my mics have at the very least foam with a fur covering. But I always take my zeppelin. The wind velocity that existed when I used the Oktava was probably around 40 mph. I was testing the Oktava at the railroad station not far from my home. I was about 50 feet ( a bit scary) from trains moving by meet full speed going at least 50 mph, and the audio was outstanding. I really test my products hard before I go to all the expense and time when I am filming. I want to know in advance how my gear works. I have had filmed with equal success a B 17 airplane, standing behind in the prop wash as it was slowly moving out to the taxi strip, and that was an extremely windy environment. The zeppelin is one of my most trusted tools, right up there with my Gitzo tripod and many of the other quality accessories I used.
D Kane
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Thanks Dennis...sounds like this should be my next investment. The situations you mentioned would render any audio that I try with my existing equip totally useless to say the least, and I'm actually looking forward to acquiring and testing this equipment myself.
Old June 15th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Here is a link to an article that addresses this issue.
http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=183
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Couldn't wait to save up the cash for the Ktek and caved in and took a chance and got the Knock off blimpie from India. $120.00 including shipping tyd. Now I'm waiting for a good windy day to test it out. I'll do the high speed fan test etc. but, I want to test it out in actual outdoor conditions. Niagara Falls is close to me and I plan to take it to the falls for a test run. It looks better than I expected and I mounted the AudioTechnica 897 in it and so far so good. Time will tell.
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #30
Major Player

Let us know how it works out. I think mine was a good buy for the money.... be curious to know if you agree.

ps. Still trying to get my daughter to make me a better (longer fur) deadcat for it still... trying to find the right bribe.

pps. Remember that even with the blimp you want to try and boom with the blimp in line with the wind, not at a cross windflow position.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio