TuneStudio Mixer and ATR25 Condenser Microphone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

TuneStudio Mixer and ATR25 Condenser Microphone

I recently purchased a Belkin TuneStudio Mixer/iPod Recorder to record my children's music performances and to record sound for video. I have a cheap AudioTechnica ATR25 condenser microphone which worked well for me when I used it with my Canon HV20 camcorder. However, I did not have much luck with my attempt to use this microphone to record sound directly to a cassette recorder (analog), the signal was always too weak. Now, I tried the same microphone to test my newly arrived TuneStudio Mixer and still not getting any good results. The mixer can accept balanced or unbalanced signal via XLR or 1/4 inputs. I connected the ATR25 via 1/4 input and the signal is very weak. If I increase the input volume and gain control to the max, then I can hear the sound from the microphone but this time the background humming is extremely high. Actually, I should say that I can hear the loud humming noise in the foreground and the weak microphone signal I intend to record in the background.

The output impedance of ATR25 is 600 ohms, whereas the input impedance of the mixer is over 20,000 ohms. Could this be the reason why I have a weak signal?

I would appreciate your help.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedanes Bol View Post
I recently purchased a Belkin TuneStudio Mixer/iPod Recorder to record my children's music performances and to record sound for video. I have a cheap AudioTechnica ATR25 condenser microphone which worked well for me when I used it with my Canon HV20 camcorder. However, I did not have much luck with my attempt to use this microphone to record sound directly to a cassette recorder (analog), the signal was always too weak. Now, I tried the same microphone to test my newly arrived TuneStudio Mixer and still not getting any good results. The mixer can accept balanced or unbalanced signal via XLR or 1/4 inputs. I connected the ATR25 via 1/4 input and the signal is very weak. If I increase the input volume and gain control to the max, then I can hear the sound from the microphone but this time the background humming is extremely high. Actually, I should say that I can hear the loud humming noise in the foreground and the weak microphone signal I intend to record in the background.

The output impedance of ATR25 is 600 ohms, whereas the input impedance of the mixer is over 20,000 ohms. Could this be the reason why I have a weak signal?

I would appreciate your help.
While I can't say for sure as Belkin doesn't make specs and a manual available online, most of the time 1/4 jacks are for inputing line-level sources such as guitars, keyboards, CD players, etc. I'll bet your TuneStudio follows that convention. Your A/T microphone is putting out a normal mic level signal which is way way WAY weaker than line level. You'll need to get adapters to let you plug the mic into the XLR connectors which would be the mixer's normal mic level inputs.
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Steve, thank you for your reply. I borrowed a Shure Dynamic microphone with XLR connection and tested the TuneStudio which worked well. So, I decided to buy a microphone with XLR connection. I will keep the ATR25 on my camcorder. I am planning to buy Shure SM57 (~$100). I read that it is good for recording musical instruments and for general sound recording including vocals. Do you have any other suggestion? Thanks for your help.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedanes Bol View Post
Steve, thank you for your reply. I borrowed a Shure Dynamic microphone with XLR connection and tested the TuneStudio which worked well. So, I decided to buy a microphone with XLR connection. I will keep the ATR25 on my camcorder. I am planning to buy Shure SM57 (~$100). I read that it is good for recording musical instruments and for general sound recording including vocals. Do you have any other suggestion? Thanks for your help.
It's a workhorse for live sound stage vocals and instrument micing but perhaps not so good for video. The problem you'll encounter is that it is designed for very close micing of the performer, what you see on stage where they're almost eating the mic. For instruments, mics such as this are also used quite close, like within a few inches. You'll probably find you need something with a bit greater working distance - still, at $100 the price is right to have one in your kit just in case. Alas, there's no 'one size fits all' mic for general sound recording and you'll get better advice if you can be more specific as to your needs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio