Hot Shoe Riser at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 26th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #1
Major Player

Hot Shoe Riser

Hey guys...

I have a Canon XH A1 and often use a deadcat windscreen on my NTG-2 shotgun mic that sits atop my camera's hotshoe in a shockmount. The problem I am having is that sometimes I can see some cat hairs coming into the frame when the wind really starts blowing. It's barely coming into frame... but annoying nonetheless.

Is there anything I can buy that just acts as a "riser" that can make my shockmount sit an inch or two higher on the hotshoe? Just some sort of extension so the mic can ride a bit higher.

Thanks for any help.
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #2
Trustee

Deke, why aren't you usig the A1's mic mount.

Try this.
This may look different than what you had in mind, but really works great and gives you additional mounting points.

It's called a J-Rod Twin.

http://thej-rod.com/

You place the rod in your mic holder on the A1. You now have 2 mounting points for mic/wireless or even hard recorder if desired.

If you just get the single J-Rod, then you can turn it upwards or downwards to give your setup a lower profile look.

There is no handling noise to your mic with this.
I use this with my modded Sony FX1's (I attached Z1 mic holders on them), and have my NTG2 mic on top and wireless receiver on the side. I use the Beyerdynamic low profile shock mount with it.

BTW you can also slide the J-Rod forward or backwards in the holder which helps keep the mic out of the frame. Although I don't find a problem with any distance.

It works great and gives me a nice tight quiet setup.
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey Michael,

Man that thing looks SWEET! I had never seen that before.

I am not the most experienced videographer, but I was told that using the shockmount for the NTG-2 is much better than putting the NTG-2 in the A1's mic holder, because they said the mic holder will make your mic pickup vibration and deck noise. I've never tried it though. Have you noticed that the A1's mic holder works well?

I certainly thing this Double J-Rod is a cool thing. I'd definitely like to move my Sennheiser Lav Receiver to an open cold-shoe on the camera, as opposed to having it clipped to my waist.
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke Ryland View Post
Hey Michael,

Man that thing looks SWEET! I had never seen that before.

I am not the most experienced videographer, but I was told that using the shockmount for the NTG-2 is much better than putting the NTG-2 in the A1's mic holder, because they said the mic holder will make your mic pickup vibration and deck noise. I've never tried it though. Have you noticed that the A1's mic holder works well?

I certainly thing this Double J-Rod is a cool thing. I'd definitely like to move my Sennheiser Lav Receiver to an open cold-shoe on the camera, as opposed to having it clipped to my waist.
As I said I don't have a Canon A1, but a modified Sony FX1 (that has the Z1 mic holder), which in essence is the same as your A1 mic holder.

I have hard the same thing being said about the Sony mic holder and picking up camera noise or handling vibrations.

Since you have the J-Rod in the mic holder and a shock mount (I like mic the Beyerdynamic shock mount a lot as it's lo profile and keeps handling noise away), then you don't have any handling noise or camera noise picked up by the NTG2 mic. Also, by mounting your Sennheiser mic vertically on the J-Rod, will give you better reception.

I use a Samson micro32 wireless that has the Sennheiser hot shoe adapter mounted to it and it works great.

Here's a link to the Byerdynamic EA86 shock mount:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mera_Shoe.html
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Since you have the J-Rod in the mic holder and a shock mount (I like mic the Beyerdynamic shock mount a lot as it's lo profile and keeps handling noise away), then you don't have any handling noise or camera noise picked up by the NTG2 mic. Also, by mounting your Sennheiser mic vertically on the J-Rod, will give you better reception.
Thanks for the many nice compliments here guys !
Using The J-Rod will keep away the handling & zoom noise, as well as allow that radio receiver to be mounted vertically, as you pointed out.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio